Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murphy's Law
New Member!
Female 

23-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Advice needed - thinking of a new pup.

Hi

I currently have a 14 month old border collie dog who is very sociable, well trained and has been castrated. I would like to take on another puppy preferably a dog as I have no experience of bitches. I have been advised that 2 dogs may fight for dominance and that a bitch might settle in better.

Also my dog has his crate - should the new pup have their own crate?

Thanks

Emer
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I think care has to be taken with some breeds when keeping multiple males but I'm not sure if a BC is one of them. Generally however, I think if you know your dog inside out and you know that your dog is excellent with other dogs, you would probably be fine with a dog pup.

The pup definitely needs his own crate. I doubt your existing dog will appreciate a boisterous pup hogging his crate!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy's Law View Post
Hi

I currently have a 14 month old border collie dog who is very sociable, well trained and has been castrated. I would like to take on another puppy preferably a dog as I have no experience of bitches. I have been advised that 2 dogs may fight for dominance and that a bitch might settle in better.

Also my dog has his crate - should the new pup have their own crate?

Thanks

Emer
All dogs can fight even dogs & bitches, however this usually occurs if the dogs are too close in age. A gap between dogs of at least 18 months & preferably 2 years. Two of mine are a bit close for me, but they are a dog & a bitch so there is no problem between them.

TBH few dogs(if any)fight over dominance. Food, toys, in season bitches yes.

All dogs should have their own space so yes a new puppy should have it's own crate or bed. What often happens is they end up sharing the same bed from choice. Two of my Cavaliers end up in the same crate all the time with the door open of course
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Never having had a BC before I don't know about their temperaments with other dogs, but I would advise getting a separate crate for the pup. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have two male Corso's!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 08:43 PM
The one thing I have found with BC's (mine anyway) is they get on well with thier own kind. I have three here and have no issues with them what-so-ever.

They tend to get on with other BC's outside the home I call them ''Breed Raciest''
Always a good plan to have separate crates, but you may find they will sleep together (all mine do)

Age can be abit of a thing though, I have found two BC's near the same age, tend to be a bit of a nightmare, even if one is sensiable, if you get one that has no manners, the good one will soon pick up those bad habits.

Personally I would wait till 18 months plus, and get one 6 months or younger, they learn quickly off a older calmer dog.

Also if your male is castrated then I would suggest your next one is too, but I would think two males will do nicely together. JMO

Hope that helps. Best wishes xxxx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I have several BC's as well as other dogs, mixture of dogs and bitches. Most just happen along so I never worry about what sex they are.

Go for whatever you want and enjoy it.

rune
Murphy's Law
New Member!
Female 

25-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks to you all for the advice given.