Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 04:39 PM

I have renamed Birmingham Dogs Home

to Birmingham Dogs home for SBT's and SBT X's.

I took my foster son to look round as he has never been, now they house a fair amount of dogs, but believe me they need to rename themselves as The SBT and SBTX rescue, because never have I seen so many of the same breed in one place.

Last time I went they had 1 floor of SBT's now they have all 3 floors with that breed.

Males, bitches, bitches that have recently had pups (you could see)& 1 young pup, then the SBTX's were obvious, again males & bitches mainly brindle, but a couple of tans and black and white's.

The only other breed there was 1 Rottie male
1 Dobie male
2 JRT both reserved
1 yorkie (Old)
1 lurcher

Everything else was SBT or SBT mix

I wish there was something that could be done to help this breed to stop them from this kind of abuse
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 04:48 PM
That's dreadfully sad and it seems to echo in many other rescue centres in the UK.

I can think of no other breed (Rotts included) that have been such victims of breed-prejudice. So many of these gorgeous dogs have ended up in shelters through no fault of their own and because of all the negativity surrounding them (unjustly) many people looking to re-home would not consider a Staffie or Staffie-Cross.

It seems to be a problem will not be resolved in the short-term. I must admit I was so shocked to see how many pages and pages of Staffies for sale were being advertised on a well-known website. Quite how they are all going to find homes is beyond me.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 04:57 PM
It's so sad I wish I could take them all......
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
That is really sad to read Steph But it does not surprise me in the least. Sadly these dogs are victims of their own success and popularity.

And you know? another sad thing is that (we, at least) don't see one Staffie at training...not one!!!!!

x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree Ann-marie, it was shocking to say the least.

Just sheer breed abuse I think, they were being over looked by so many people in there too, people just walking in and looking about and walking out.

Sadly one SBTX was huggle up in the corner, scared to death....everyone was saying errrrr come away it's vicious....people mistaking vicious for scared....well it beggers belief, what chance have they of being homed.

It even said on the kennel....Please don't just walk on by I am scared not nasty I cried
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
It's so sad I wish I could take them all......
Me too hun
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
That is really sad to read Steph But it does not surprise me in the least. Sadly these dogs are victims of their own success and popularity.

And you know? another sad thing is that (we, at least) don't see one Staffie at training...not one!!!!!

x
Sadly thats true sis, I was in tears when i came out I can tell you
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Me too hun

Sadly thats true sis, I was in tears when i came out I can tell you
I wouldn't be able to go, I would be crying buckets too! it's so sad and heartbreaking. How was FS?

xxx
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Poor dogs, Staffs IMO are one of the best breeds of dogs there are in the right hands, and its awful that this has been allowed to happen to them, I hope that they get homes soon.

I also wonder how many have real 'reasons' why they were given up.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Its not just Birmingham Dogs Home, same situation in Edinburgh Cat & Dog home, and others like it. We are so busy ourselves at the moment, and thats just the tip of the iceberg as we are basically dealing with the ones that call us and we home them direct from home to home. We dont have kennels if we did they would be constantly full.

Its a horrendous situation and many many people wont even consider a staffie or cross and many more will advise people looking at rescue not to consider one either.

As someone else has mentioned they are a victim of their own success but now sadly they are just the victim, and one of the worst dogs in kennels too as they get very very stressed, as they ust want to be with their people.

It actually breaks my heart.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Poor dogs, Staffs IMO are one of the best breeds of dogs there are in the right hands, and its awful that this has been allowed to happen to them, I hope that they get homes soon.

I also wonder how many have real 'reasons' why they were given up.
not many I bet.

havent had a good reason for a rehome that i have done yet tbh.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >