View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
I would say that every dog is very different. Shannon was so good that she was houstrained from the first night but the others have taken longer. Its being consistant and watching there patterns. They normally give ample warning befor having an accident.

Good look with the training

Min xxxxx
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
I can appreciate your fears re taking up the water bowl, it is a bit of a contraversial issue. I was also very sceptical at first but it was pointed out that pups aged 10 weeks in the wild are completely weaned from Mum's milk, and would not have 24 hour access to water.

Also sometimes a pup will drink during the night because they wake up, find themselves alone - what to do? If the water bowl is available they often drink purely for comfort/boredom relief. If the pup is next to your bed in a crate, you can reassure if the pup wakes up, and let him settle down again without overloading his little bladder. Likewise if your pup is really distressed and REALLY needs a drink, then you will know, as you'll be right there!

If you are feeding a dry kibble just lessen the amount of time you take up the water bowl - Esau was my first pup on dry kibble, he had a last drink of milk/water at 10.30pm, a last wee at 11.30-12pm, and that was it until about 5.30am. He was absolutely fine and not remotely 'gasping' by the next morning - and this was high summer.

Once your pup is about 5 months you can leave the water down 24 hours - but in fact none of my dogs drink anything significant at night.

BTW, Ann Head also advocates never feeding on a Sunday - she points out that dogs do not eat every day in the wild and she found it kept her dogs appetites healthy and prevented them from becoming overweight. I have to admit I haven't done this with Esau but then I also have to admit I can't feel his ribs any longer - maybe it's time to start!!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3