register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Krusewalker is offline  
Location: dullsville
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,241
Male 
 
10-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'm liking what you're saying there now about those Lib Dems, because afterall, when Labour first got in, they PROMISED us a referendum on Europe, and once again it was a broken promise, and all of a sudden we were in it!!!
Not actually the case. We were already in the EU.
blair promosed a referendum on joining the singe currency. we never had thuis referendum, yet we arent members of the currency either.

Originally Posted by Clarita View Post
This is supposed to be a democracy, so feel really cross that there could be a Lib Lab coalition when more people in the UK want the Tories than any other party- what the flip is going on?!!

but more people in the country voted not to have the tories than have them.
that's why the sytem is not proportional and we require PR

Why do the Welsh and Scottish vote in the General election now that they have their own assemblies either?!!

You are forgetting N.Ire as well.
It's because all 3 regions are members of the UK and arent independant states.
The assemblies arent independant parliaments of independant nations, but regional autonomies.
The Scots, welsh and northern irish have not just voted for seats in their respective assemblies, they have voted for their constituency seats in Westminster, same as we have.
I added a post about this in reply to your post on the other thread

If seats in those 3 regions werent voted for in the current gen election, this still does not guarnatee we would not end up with a hung parliament in the first post the post system.

It has to be either Cameron or Cameron Clegg in government!! Labour are so out of order!! It is not just Gordon who is too big for his boots- the whole labour party are!!

Agreed, but 'and', not 'or'

Politics makes me so very cross!! Voted Tory along with the majority of England!!

for various reasons, not with the majority of england, you didnt.

Just heard it will be a Labour Liberal Democrat Government- how is this just or fair?!! Am so very angry!!

Clarita
no one has said this is so yet
Reply With Quote
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Fudgeley is offline  
Location: Warrington UK
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,929
Female 
 
10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Having read BBc news it seems GB will step down and has asked his party to begin looking for a new leader. NC is still in talks with both CON and LAB but does state GB stepping down makes it interesting..........

It seems there has been no formal declaration so we are still waiting.

I can't believe that the labour party kept him there for so long with a general election looming. Surely if they had acted earlier we would not be in this mess now. A big reason people jumped ship away from LAB was that they did not like nor had faith in GB.
Reply With Quote
Azz
Administrator
Azz is offline  
Location: South Wales, UK
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,570
Male 
 
10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Clarita View Post
The people of this country put Conservative first!! Yet, the politicians fight amongst themselves without caring about the voter or anyone in the UK!!
No they didn't. Over 50% of the people of this country voted for the two progressive parties (labour + Libdem). (or if you like, over 50% voted _not_ to get the tories in.)

Only 30% voted for the tories.
Reply With Quote
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Krusewalker is offline  
Location: dullsville
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,241
Male 
 
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM
labour 'progressive'?????

when did that start then
Reply With Quote
Azz
Administrator
Azz is offline  
Location: South Wales, UK
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 18,570
Male 
 
10-05-2010, 06:42 PM
They're fairly progressive (obviously not as much as libdem or green).
Reply With Quote
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Lynn is offline  
Location: March, Cambridgeshire.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,644
Female  Gold Supporter 
 
10-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's all very odd to me too, why can't we just vote for the man we want in power, like they do in the states?? Whoever gets in, then has all the constituancies (sp?) of that party in situ all around the country, it makes sense to me? Who I vote for seems to be somebody up the road who I've never even seen or head of, it's all so weird isn't it!

Personally, I think we should have another election right now, especially now that we've seen all the complications after the last vote, and in fact, why can't the Government (if we HAVE one of course!) just send us all out a bit of paper asking us who WE want in power at the TOP, we tick a box, send it back, sorted!

Wouldn't that just be too easy Helena ?
Reply With Quote
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Helena54 is offline  
Location: South East UK
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,437
Female 
 
10-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Not actually the case. We were already in the EU.
blair promosed a referendum on joining the singe currency. we never had thuis referendum, yet we arent members of the currency either.



no one has said this is so yet
So the tories got us in??? With all that Maggie had said all those years about about the EU??? I cannot believe that!!!
Reply With Quote
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Jackie is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,122
Female  Diamond Supporter 
 
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
No they didn't. Over 50% of the people of this country voted for the two progressive parties (labour + Libdem). (or if you like, over 50% voted _not_ to get the tories in.)
Only 30% voted for the tories.
Thats like saying there is a 3 horse race and those that came second and third really won, becuase they have more legs between them

There were 3 main parties in this race (along with others) the Tories got the most votes so in effect they where voted in by the people, you cant them count up the rest of the parties votes together to say, they where what the people voted for,
Reply With Quote
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Tassle is offline  
Location: UK
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,065
Female 
 
10-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Gosh....even Labour MPs are thinking that a Lib/Lab agreement will be wrong!
Reply With Quote
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Benzmum is offline  
Location: Scotland
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,966
Female 
 
10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats like saying there is a 3 horse race and those that came second and third really won, becuase they have more legs between them

There were 3 main parties in this race (along with others) the Tories got the most votes so in effect they where voted in by the people, you cant them count up the rest of the parties votes together to say, they where what the people voted for,
I totally agree with what you say but it's Tories who actually want to keep the voting system as it is. The other parties all want to change it to a way whereby this fiasco would not have happened. Tories are the ones refusing to even discuss electoral reform, thereby IMO they are advocating the very system that may have allowed them to be comfortably in government

I realise the above infers I am supporting them, as if another system was in place then DC would possibly be sitting in No 10 tonight, but it may also have swayed how other parties would be voted as there are 49 seats difference so perhaps those who voted SNP may have voted Labour or lib dem if there was a different system in place. But thats all speculation and sadly we can only deal with the IMO mess that is British voting.. What is clear to me is that the whole of the UK public did not have the overwhelming confidence in ANY party. It also is safe to say that more people didn't vote Tory than voted Tory.

As an aside, even in USA, where people assume its those with majority who are elected, just because you have a president of 1 party, whether it be republican or democrat, there doesn't have to be a congressional majority because the congress is elected every 2 years and the president every 4 and 1 third of the senate is voted for evetry 2 years as well
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top