Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Bathtime Shenanigans

Decided to give Flynn a bath earlier as he's been rolling in various stuff and he appears to have red pimples on his underside and throat area which are driving him crazy (not sure if it's these grass mites i've been reading about, an allergy to something in his food or fleas??!). I thought a bath might soothe the itching somewhat.

Anyway, I called him up the stairs and he ran up excitedly, thinking he was having a rare moment past the kitchen limits and then when I attempted to usher him into the bathroom, he scarpered! I managed to lure him back, pick him up, dump him in the bathroom and close the door. I then attempted to pick him up again and he glued himself into the corner and lay down flat so I couldnt get my hands underneath him! Trying to budge 26kg when it dont want to move is difficult and i'd taken his damn collar off!

He's only had 3 baths in his life and I didnt realise he hated them so much! Anyway, I managed to get him in the tub and he let out a constant wail all the way through! I bet the neighbours thought I was skinning him alive

I then decided since I was wet and the bathroom was wet, I might as well do Jed (not so keen on doing him as he takes hours to dry). Jed is a different kettle of fish. He remains totally nonchalant and silent throughout but he does have a crafty trick he hopes I dont notice. I put my arm across his chest just in case he happens to try leaping, which he never does, but he applies a persistant but subtle force against my arm and before I know it, he's inched his way to the edge of the tub. I then have to try and push 30kg back but he does it all over again and by the end of it, my arm is killing!

I guess the eternal question is, why do dogs love to play in dirty water but hate having a bath so much?

Does anybody's dog actually enjoy having a bath and are there other dogs out there who have tricks to try and get out of bathtime?

At least i'm safe in the knowledge that chore is out of the way for another few months (or, until my dad takes them down the river tomorrow!)
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Mine hates baths too.
We get around it by having a kiddies paddling pool- and a supply of cheese - and doing the necessary in there!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Anyway, I called him up the stairs and he ran up excitedly, thinking he was having a rare moment past the kitchen limits and then when I attempted to usher him into the bathroom, he scarpered! I managed to lure him back, pick him up, dump him in the bathroom and close the door. I then attempted to pick him up again and he glued himself into the corner and lay down flat so I couldnt get my hands underneath him! Trying to budge 26kg when it dont want to move is difficult and i'd taken his damn collar off!
Oh dear, this is exactly what Max and Murphy do

I can't actually get them past the bathroom door frame. They have to be carried in (and both weigh about the same as Flynn!). I then have to shut the door fast, pick them up from where they are flat on the floor and dump them in the bath. They tend to sit fairly still, but spend a lot of time sighing and huffing about it.

As soon as you finish, they leap out and shake, unless you've been clever enough to drop a towel over them just before.
They won't stand for anything other than a cursory dry, and then they fly downstairs and either sit shivering in front of the fire, or run round outside to dry off!

alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 08:57 AM
ha ha ha!!! what a picture!

with china she will come into the bathroom and will allow you to put her in the bath, but she does the slow push forward...

you can tell she oesnt like it but will stand and be washed.

We are quite lucky as whey she gets out she will wait till you wrap a towel round before she shakes and will lift each paw for them to be dried bless her...
then she scarpers!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Reah and Bruce are ok with it....well at least I don't have to hold them.

But Skye.....................now she is a different story....HATES it, I have to use her lead and loop it round the tap...........otherwise she fights me
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Awww they both looked lovely after their baths last night!

Shambles isn't so bad, she just stands and trembles throughout the bathing but loves the drying she leans on you and tries to grab the towel
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:47 AM
All the loose hair flying around the floor at dogclub last night was Jed's! I'd got it all over the kitchen floor this morning...

Jed tends to have a bit of an afro for a few days until it calms down. So far this morning, Flynn hasnt been scratching so I hope the bath helped.
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:51 AM
My dogs don't like baths because it's so slippery and they are unsteady on their feet. I use an old towel in the bottom of the bath so they can get a better grip and they're MUCH better that way.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I have one of those rubber bath mats which I put down for them. They even run a mile from the hosepipe, wont go near the bucket to simply have their feet washed yet would swim in the stinky canal if I let them!