Our sister sites
Our sister sites
firefox
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Prize Choice - minced meat

Hi all,
Dipping my toe into the water of BARF, I've bought some Prize Choice mince. Do you suppliment this?
So far (he's just had an op) I've given him half a block of chicken with some rice, and supplimented it with a few of of the Natures Menu veg nuggets (about 5 or 6)

Do I need to mix the mince with kibble (I have loads of Chappie kibble still) and do I need to mix in 'greens' each meal?

Thanks for any help!
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't mix meat and kibble because I was always told they take different lengths of time to digest.
Scooter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm new to this as well, but from what I understand you will need to mix some veggies to this as it's 100% meat.

A few people I know also add a little bit of Terrier Mix to provide a bit of crunch to help clean teeth, but don't quote me on whether that's a good idea or not

I hope somebody with more experience will come along and advise.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Personally I would only give the veg mix once a day... Used to give mine with the evening meal or I would give them green tripe instead, plus raw carrots to work their teeth...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2010, 01:10 PM
My lot get the mince (nothing added) in the evening and chicken wings or meat/organ chunks in the morning. I have just started adding the veg nuggets but will only do it a couple of times a week. I can`t imagine a wild diet would include vegetables that often.
They seem OK on this.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Mine tend to get chicken wings in the morning

then in the evening they will have mince of some sort on probably 4 evenings out of 7. They just have it on it's own.

On two of the other evenings they get heart/liver/kidney/tinned pilchards etc

on the final night they get raw egg, live yoghurt or cottage cheese and some veg of some sort.

If i run out they get plain grain free complete (whatever i happen to have around/what was last on offer when i went shopping - i am a "bad example" i chop and change my dogs dry food at whim - that said, as i've always done it i've never had a problem)

i don't ever mix raw and complete as i was advised not to by my raw feeding mentor.