Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wonder collar
New Member!
Male 

01-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I have total control over my dogs without without a collar-it's called training !

The reason collars up under the ears control dogs is the pain they can inflict, the dogs isn't trained with this thing-it is controlled by the fear of the pain that can be inflicted-the same goes for the show dogs that are incorrectly handled strung up on tight chokers under the ears-a fashion adopted of the USA by handlers

You will not see a GSD being handled in this way in Germany-the dogs are all trained & at one stage in the show ring the dogs are gaited off-lead !

I notice that you"developed"this idea after competing in flyball. Sorry but as most of the flyball dogs I have seen can only be controlled by wearing a harness & the ball loader has to wear ear protectors-Nuff said. Sorry but flyball is IMHO one of the least skilled activity you can take part in with your dog. Way too many injuries to the dogs(which why they have to wear protection on their legs whilst taking part)
Just to put the record straight, the idea came to me at a flyball competion but it came about after quite a heated discussion, similar to this thread, the other double collars on the market came under scrunity. I decided to do some research and knowing these collars where finding there way onto the UK market, I set about designing a UK version which I believe is not so harsh on the dog.

I do not encourage the use of my collar at flyball
competitions or any other event where the dogs are so excited.

PS. Along with Dawes Pawes, I also take offence at the flyballing comments.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by wonder collar View Post
It is still at the design stage and not currently available, I am developing it for the profesional bodies that have requested it. I do not envisage it to be on sale to the general public and it will not replace the one already available.
Who are the professional bodies who have requested it?

To be honest, the collars will work on using pressure/pain and it's not fair to even think about designing and distributing them to anyone, public or not.

Dogs should not suffer because humans are not able to train them, and there are plenty of other stop pulling devices available now.

Wys
x
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
So flyballing is 100% safe & quiet is it ???
no, agility isnt 100% safe either. but i didnt appreciate the "least skiled sport" comment, yes its one of the easier ones, but you basically came across as if flyballers cannot DO anything else which isnt true, there are lots of agility and Ob people who do flyball, so there are plenty of skilled handlers for such an unskilled sport.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:48 AM
I have competed at flyball with several of my dogs, albeit many years ago.

Dawes paws-----I have no problem with anyone flyballing---it is fun and I don't think it is any more dangerous than any other sport for the dogs----but it IS noisy and high adrenalin for dogs and handlers.

However it is also very much an 'instant gratification' sport for both dogs and handlers. So it is not surprising that a competitor is trying to apply that 'instant gratification' to other training.

rune
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have competed at flyball with several of my dogs, albeit many years ago.

Dawes paws-----I have no problem with anyone flyballing---it is fun and I don't think it is any more dangerous than any other sport for the dogs----but it IS noisy and high adrenalin for dogs and handlers.

However it is also very much an 'instant gratification' sport for both dogs and handlers. So it is not surprising that a competitor is trying to apply that 'instant gratification' to other training.

rune

re the first bold bit, lol, yeah just a bit!
and the second; can see what you mean, about instant gratification, never really thought of flyballers as "quick fixers" will now be making an effort to notice if this is true lol and let you know
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:19 AM
No pull harnesses work very well---especially the front clasp ones----but they take longer to put on and require more thought about what you are doing when you put them on----which is why people don't like them.

Again quick and easy is more marketable and if you don't explain that it hurts then people are going to think it is OK---especially if you mention CM----the general public do think he is great.

Not knocking just flyball----but there area lot of people in flyball and agility who have aquired a lot of dogs very quickly and have really got no idea about what they are doing.

The comment about 'rescue dogs' being the dogs who need these collars proves that.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I am afraid I have to agree with both Joedee and Rune re Flyball. A lot of screaming handlers and dogs and it is really not a skilled sport, sorry but it cannot compare even with agility, let alone Schutzhund, Obedience, HWTM, Working Trials etc.

The dogs just run in a straight line over minute obstacles and catch a ball, hmmm most dogs do that every day when playing!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:56 AM
The skill is in knowing the pace of the dogs and letting them go at the right time----we used to let go more or less as the previous dog turned on the box.

However that is training the handler---nothing to do with the dog! The box loader needs to be with it---but again nothing to do with the dogs.

Once you get them focused and confident running next to others (which can be difficult for some dogs), it remains the same every time.

Fun though---and I think for people with not much time and a dog that needs something it isn't a bad thing to do---despite the excitement and noise.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Oh no I do not think it is BAD, it deffo not for me, I cannot stand the noise, the same applies to agility.

Coming from sports where any noise from a dog is penalised I still find it bewildering why it is necessary!

I think flyball, like agility, is more accessible than other sports, and the good/bad thing about both sports is any dog can take part with little training!

There is something attractive about sports that take place indoors!
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-04-2011, 09:05 AM
i realise this is getting off topic but i really do take offence at people saying flyball is a non skilled sport, agree that yes "all the dogs do is jumps some hurdles and catch a ball" but how long do you think it takes to TRAIN them to do that?! a LONG time, for me and a lot of flyballers getting a good turn is the most important thing, and that does not happen overnight i take MONTHS to teach my dogs to turn, so please dont say there is no skill involved! for the racing part yes i agree all down to the handler, but its the training that takes the time and SKILL
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >