View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Thought that it was normal update not a complete new thing altogether - stupid me!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
Thought that it was normal update not a complete new thing altogether - stupid me!
Well as I understand it - it isn't all new - but you do get a START button back but thought the main reason for it was to fix issues with 8? This is why I'm not all that interested in using 8 much at the mo - and hanging on to be told that the 8.1 is safe enough to go.

Norton? I'd never use that. Bogs down your computer with extensive features that often don’t work, making it slow and doesn't give 'better' protection.

Perfectly good FREE AVs out there - AVG or the new Microsoft Security Essentials that should have come with a computer with Win8. Both lightweight and dependable. I use Avast because my son always pays for it and puts it on new stuff for me (he buys all my computers) but the popups annoy me and the others are fine. If you need a second line of defense MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is very good.
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Well as I understand it - it isn't all new - but you do get a START button back but thought the main reason for it was to fix issues with 8? This is why I'm not all that interested in using 8 much at the mo - and hanging on to be told that the 8.1 is safe enough to go.

Norton? I'd never use that. Bogs down your computer with extensive features that often don’t work, making it slow and doesn't give 'better' protection.

Perfectly good FREE AVs out there - AVG or the new Microsoft Security Essentials that should have come with a computer with Win8. Both lightweight and dependable. I use Avast because my son always pays for it and puts it on new stuff for me (he buys all my computers) but the popups annoy me and the others are fine. If you need a second line of defense MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is very good.
Thanks for info......So do you think I could remove Norton? As I believe that the slowness is because of Windows defender ( that appeared with 8.1) has taken over so to speak & Norton is still there......
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't try just 'removing' it without proper instructions.

Some of this stuff is fairly impossible to remove properly easily.

You might get some help here:
(editing to say scratch that they want money lol!)

Have a read up here before doing ANYTHING

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/...rProfile_en_us

this is 'the Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product' and I think it 'walks you through it' depending on how you got Norton in the first place.

The steps to download and run the Norton Removal Tool differ depending on what product you have.
Choose your product:
I have a Norton product that was purchased from my service provider
I have Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, or Norton 360
I have Norton Security Suite or Norton Business Suite
I have Norton Ghost or Norton Save & Restore
I have pcAnywhere or WinFax
Shame you don't have someone there with you who is more pc savvy to do it for you.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2013, 10:53 AM
I now keep getting a pop up message saying
Upgrade to Windows 8.1 now ...Ask me later
which is really annoying me .

I am fine with Windows 8 now I have got it all set up, ditched most of the tiles into the waste bin and found a shortcut which lets me access sleep/hibernate/switch off quickly without all the hovering charms nonsenses
(Window key =i)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I use Avast because my son always pays for it and puts it on new stuff for me (he buys all my computers) but the popups annoy me and the others are fine.
We're on Avast as well, we started on the free version then upgraded to a version costing about £10 per year. Then while I was away my wife 'accidentally' upgraded to what I assume is the full version. She didn't say anything to me until I noticed a £78 debit on the credit card (and it mentioned Avast). That's more than I would be happy paying, but I must say that since then every day (Often two or three times) there has been a message that Avast has blocked some malicious site.

I had no idea the problem was that bad and I'm even more annoyed that all the legal system ever does is give these bar stewards a slap on the wrist, assuming they ever do catch them.
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-12-2013, 10:32 PM
First of all I'll state that I have 8.1 on a machine and I am perfectly happy with it.

If you want to remove Norton go to Google and download the Norton Removal tool and follow instructions.

Again I can confirm that this software works!!

I personally use Superantispyware and Avast to protect my system.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Same here Win 8.1 is much better and no slow down. I'm using windows defender I usually use Avast but thought I would try the inbuilt one and am happy with it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-12-2013, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by mrphilip View Post
First of all I'll state that I have 8.1 on a machine and I am perfectly happy with it.

If you want to remove Norton go to Google and download the Norton Removal tool and follow instructions.

Again I can confirm that this software works!!

I personally use Superantispyware and Avast to protect my system.
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
Same here Win 8.1 is much better and no slow down. I'm using windows defender I usually use Avast but thought I would try the inbuilt one and am happy with it.
Hi can you tell me how Windows 8.1 differs from Windows 8 please .
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi can you tell me how Windows 8.1 differs from Windows 8 please .
I too will be interested in this.
Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >