View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-12-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't have those win 8 probs as I downloaded start button from link called classic shell and I dowloaded programmes like skype separately that way you can use them without having to sign into Microsoft . easy . in fact I have never even touched the app screens
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-01-2014, 03:51 PM
As i predicted:

MICROSOFT plans to cut its losses on Windows 8, the latest version of the software that runs the majority of the world's computers, jettisoning the brand in an attempt to appease millions of disgruntled users.

Industry sources believe the world's biggest software company will announce a new operating system, code named "Threshold", at an event in April.

It is understood that ultimately Microsoft will call the system Windows 9 - a move, nonetheless, away from the Windows 8 brand that executives believe has become irreparably damaged by poor sales and scathing customer reviews.

The company will also make a number of changes to the system's design and functionality. It will go on sale in 2015, far earlier than many anticipated.

It is only 15 months since Microsoft launched Windows 8, described as a bold reinvention of the best-selling software. Instead of inviting users to click on icons and boxes, it features big, colourful on-screen tiles that are meant to be touched. It was intended to transform Microsoft into a player on mobile phones and tablets.

Yet the company's changes have alienated many who had become familiar with the original software. Last year Microsoft offered a free upgrade, called Windows 8.1, in an attempt to respond to the criticism. This included bringing back the "Start" button, which had formed part of every version of the software since 1995. Analysts said Windows 8 was also struggling because it offered considerably fewer apps than rivals such as Android, Google's software for mobiles, and Apple devices.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
As i predicted:

MICROSOFT plans to cut its losses on Windows 8, the latest version of the software that runs the majority of the world's computers, jettisoning the brand in an attempt to appease millions of disgruntled users.

Industry sources believe the world's biggest software company will announce a new operating system, code named "Threshold", at an event in April.

It is understood that ultimately Microsoft will call the system Windows 9 - a move, nonetheless, away from the Windows 8 brand that executives believe has become irreparably damaged by poor sales and scathing customer reviews.

The company will also make a number of changes to the system's design and functionality. It will go on sale in 2015, far earlier than many anticipated.

It is only 15 months since Microsoft launched Windows 8, described as a bold reinvention of the best-selling software. Instead of inviting users to click on icons and boxes, it features big, colourful on-screen tiles that are meant to be touched. It was intended to transform Microsoft into a player on mobile phones and tablets.

Yet the company's changes have alienated many who had become familiar with the original software. Last year Microsoft offered a free upgrade, called Windows 8.1, in an attempt to respond to the criticism. This included bringing back the "Start" button, which had formed part of every version of the software since 1995. Analysts said Windows 8 was also struggling because it offered considerably fewer apps than rivals such as Android, Google's software for mobiles, and Apple devices.
Lol very interesting and very comforting to know I'm not the only one!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Thanks for that info Apache. Not sure how I feel about it!
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Considering Microsoft announced last year, that they were going to follow Apples example, and offer yearly updates, at lower price, releasing a new operating system in 2014, might not be the listening to customers people think it is. Whether they keep the lower price bit remains to be seen.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Considering Microsoft announced last year, that they were going to follow Apples example, and offer yearly updates, at lower price, releasing a new operating system in 2014, might not be the listening to customers people think it is. Whether they keep the lower price bit remains to be seen.
I think I agree with your sentiments here. My new Lenovo cost circa 8 hundred quid and here I am reading about it becoming extinct before I've even got to grips with it!

True what they say - by the time your cheque's cleared it's out of date!

I'm actually now sorry that I read ANYTHING about Win8 and Win8.1.

Previously I have had all new OSs on new lappies and just sucked it up and got on with it.

This time I read up on it and asked questions and all it has resulted in really is me being put off even getting started on it. Absolutely stupid really as I use an Android tablet daily and my phone is just a smaller version and, from what I can see, this Win8 isn't much different.

Just that I use quite clunky software via a dedicated VPN to work on and we are supposed to be moving away from it soon so I didn't even want it installed on the new Lenovo if I won't be using it much longer so am still using my business class huge VAIO to work on and of course I don't bother 'switching' when this one is on 24/7.

I think I just need to grasp the nettle and stop thinking about it all so much.

I can remember when loads of people were wailing that they hated Win7 and wanted to stick with XP pro. I just switched and didn't look back. Sure any new OS can be irritating because it will slow you down at times just because you sort of hunt around to find how to do what you did on the old OS.

I need to give myself a good sharp smack round the head and get acquainted properly with my shiny new Lenovo IdeaPad! And apologise to it nicely for having ignored it for nigh on 3 months!

*best way for me to do that is to get the software bods to install all my work gubbins on it and remove it from this one. Then I'll have no option but to use it on a daily basis. In fact I think I will get onto doing that next Monday.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
releasing a new operating system in 2014, might not be the listening to customers people think it is. Whether they keep the lower price bit remains to be seen.
The report states it will go on sale in 2015.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I can remember when loads of people were wailing that they hated Win7 and wanted to stick with XP pro. I just switched and didn't look back.
Agreed O'Tangyone, i didn't particularly like XP, it could be a pig to network, yet still I hear people going on about wanting to keep it. Apart from the advantage of retaining outdated software or hardware there is nothing redeeming about it. Win 7 was a vast improvement.

If i had your shiny new £800 Lenovo i would have someone install Win 7 64 bit and then get cracking with it. Why struggle to get to grips with Windows 8 (Tiles R' Us) when it is being ditched soon. You could then put Win 9 on next year if it proves worthy. I know this goes against your policy of new laptop/new OS, but that is based on an assumption of continuous Windows improvement,.. not the mess Microsoft have made with Win 8.

I have always put together my own desktop PC's, using the best hardware available at the time, and then only installed a new OS after test driving it.

Just my opinion.
Apache
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Nice to see that Apache. not that I will be buying it as I just got this one late last year and in no way am I wasting more money on another system I might hate as much as this one. But nice to see they are admitting they mucked this one up proper.

I am still having problems with mine, even though they are more tolerable now of course. It's almost as if Microsoft released a Beta edition (and then put out 8.1 as the "patch") instead of finalizing the product and THEN releasing it!

Had I known about all these issues... I'd probably have gone online and bought a refurbished Windows 7 edition instead. Like seriously! There isn't an excuse for the problems with the system.

I previously had Windows 7 Home Premium and also used my father's Windows 7 Professional/Business edition. I only got Windows 8 because it's the only new computer that I could find here to buy.

They no longer sold Windows 7 new in the stores and I couldn't find a new Windows 7 online for a decent price. Regret it big time. I'd even have been happy to save a bit and buy a more costly computer if I had been able to predict how garbage the Windows 8 would be.

I tried to use Firefox instead of Chrome. My computer almost had a heart attack! It's so buggy and annoying. I love Windows OS computers for the most part and would never buy an Apple or anything but they dropped the ball with Vista and Windows 8. Um... BIG TIME!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2014, 08:55 AM
I've never understood what all the fuss is about, my lappy came with 8 I just turned it on and started using it. I've never had any issues with it and really it's not so different to 7. It's only 1 screen that's different anyway. I quite like it myself and think some people just don't like change. It is what it is and no doubt when I get another new laptop that will have a different system too and I'll learn that one too.
Page 10 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >