Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:20 PM

Shepherds Whistle?

I have just bought a plastic Sherpherds Whistle made by Acme, because I want to train my dog to the whistle and possibly do some herding with him in the future.

However,,,,, I can't make any sound come out of it!

Please help, what am I doing wrong??
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Herding with a springer spaniel?????

I can't even begin to describe how to use the shepherd's whistle ... it took me absolutely ages to get the hang of it My OH is an expert and has different whistle commands for different dogs!
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Herding with a springer spaniel?????

I can't even begin to describe how to use the shepherd's whistle ... it took me absolutely ages to get the hang of it My OH is an expert and has different whistle commands for different dogs!
No!!!! My friend has asked me to do some training with his BC, he (my friend) is a farmer who bred the BC to herd his sheep, but the dog is really nervus and needs to build up his confidence, so I was asked if I could spend some time with him and eventuly try him with the sheep (not my area usally!)
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I am rather surprised you went for a shepherds whistle - they are meant to be rather tricky to use aren't they? And really best left to the experts!
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I am rather surprised you went for a shepherds whistle - they are meant to be rather tricky to use aren't they? And really best left to the experts!

I know, but I like to learn new things and every body has to start some where.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Whitaker1579 View Post
No!!!! My friend has asked me to do some training with his BC, he (my friend) is a farmer who bred the BC to herd his sheep, but the dog is really nervus and needs to build up his confidence, so I was asked if I could spend some time with him and eventuly try him with the sheep (not my area usally!)
Ah I see but have definitely heard really tricky!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:15 PM
took me ages as well, but couldnt describe how to use it
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Whitaker1579 View Post
Ahhh I see The only bit of advice I can give you is to just keep trying. Try placing it in different areas of your mouth and try and blow over the top of the hole. I just tried, tried and tried again ... and eventually got a sound!

Good luck! Have you trained sheepdogs before? If not, and your farmer friend needs his dog to work the sheep, there are some sheepdog trainers in your area and I can give you the details of them if you like?
Whitaker1579
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Ahhh I see The only bit of advice I can give you is to just keep trying. Try placing it in different areas of your mouth and try and blow over the top of the whole. I just tried, tried and tried again ... and eventually got a sound!

Good luck! Have you trained sheepdogs before? If not, and your farmer friend needs his dog to work the sheep, there are some sheepdog trainers in your area and I can give you the details of them if you like?
I havent but he has, he just uses a normal whistle, but as I am planning on getting a BC for my self this year, which I am interested in doing some sheepdog trialing with I though that this would be the ideal time to learn to use a shepherds whistle.

The BC in question was sent away when he was roughly 6 or so months old to a sheepdog trainer for 8 months of intensive training, but when he came back he was well trained but also a bag of nerves, to the point were he just wants to hide in his bed So Im just trying to make him confident and happy at the minute.
Sundance
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Took me ages to get the hang of it and sometimes even now no peep comes out. You have to try all sorts of things and then hopefully remember what you did when it worked! I think the silver whistle is easier to get the hang of than the plastic ones. I had one but as it doesn't have any hole for attaching string I have managed to lose it. Good luck anyway.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >