Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Hot weather

any ideas how i can keep my 3 year old staffie cool hes walked at appopriate cooler times of the day but still pants excessively his chest going ten to the dozen ive took him vets i was that concernerd but they have found nothing wrong been looking at coats which cool the dog down has anyone uesd one or have any other ways i can keep my boy cool my other dog a ameican bull cross staff doesnt seem to struggle half as much any ideas greatly recieved
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Hi,

I don't really know what to suggest other than what my lot do.

They all get into the small, toddler paddling pool I have on the patio for them. It took a bit of work last summer but now they all get in and Jenzi tries to catch the water so there was no problem getting her in.

Ellie will tip over their drinking water to get her feet wet.

I've never heard of coats for them to keep them cool but I wouldn't advocate putting something on or over the dog if he's already too hot. I don't see how such a product can work.

Other than that, keep him in the shade, open the windows to get a breeze going through the house and maybe use a fan.

Laura xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry do you mean he's panting a lot on walks or all of the time ?
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2010, 03:55 PM
We transport them to woods, keep under the trees where it's a lot cooler & walk along the stream. That way the dogs are in & out of the water all the time keeping cool & rehydrating.
All our walks are early/late, planned around water & shade if possible.
Paddling pool & plenty of shade in the garden. Also have an aircon unit we use if it gets too warm indoors
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Another tip I heard was to let them lie on a wet towel, and to make the room cooler, stand a frozen bottle of water in front of the fan. I also give Luchi a little block of ice, she takes it into the shade and seems to really enjoy it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2010, 04:04 PM
The reason I asked if it was all the time or just on walks is because I've stopped walking Diesel my staffie over the past few days because although we walk in the woods where it's cooler he's been panting so much with his chest absolutely heaving until he throws up and the same thing happened last year. He's apparently as fit as a butchers dog but he really struggles with the hot weather on walks. At home it's no problem he's in and out the garden all day long even playfighting in the heat with no adverse affects.
Other than that we have all the windows and doors open at home with a through breeze and fans in the main rooms to keep the air circulating, we also have tiled floors where they can lie to keep cool and this morning they went for a dip in the pond much to the of the fish
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2010, 04:25 PM
its mainly on walks or if hes in the garden in the heat i tryed to show him its better in the shade i have a paddling pool set up but he ignores it the windows are open and a breeze is flowing through the house he will occassionly take a ice cube and ive tryed putting a wet t towel on him its just the chest heaving thats quite worrying to watch
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 05:09 PM
I give Diesel bottled water from the fridge....He's also got a paddling pool that I fill with cold water for him to step in

A wet towel is another good idea.

Hope you manage to find a way to keep your boy cool x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2010, 05:33 PM
We have a fan going most of the time, and they tend to lie on the laminate rather than the rugs. You could put ice cubes in his water bowl.