View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Or maybe a non shedding dog? Like a poodle or mini schnauzer (unsure what these are like with kids?). Or the Tibetan terrier which I mentioned earlier is non shedding too
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 06:51 PM
It`s no good, I`ve got to ask.....
was the hair still on the dog when your son ate it?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Well I have an autistic son and we have a greyhound, 3 lurchers, a collie x and a foster staffie and they're all wonderful with him!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
I wouldn't trust a staffy around children.
It's the child I wouldn't trust to be honest.
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 09:20 PM
i`m going to be really harsh and say , i wouldn`t recommend any breed as the `eating` fur could have been easily avoided and there`s no guarantee`s that this wouldn`t happen again even four years later. i`d stick to cats.
Jofelicia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I have a lab and a pug x. We had both from pups. Also three kids aged 11,10 and 6 (the oldest has ADHD, dyspraxia and some autistic traits). Both dogs have been brill with the kids but the little pug x has been especially amazing. He puts up with any amount of cuddling and fussing and has never so much as pulled a face at them.
My youngest child used to put him in a dolls pram when he was smaller and dress him up in clothes!!

On the down side, my lab was extremely bouncy and exciteable as a pup and is very hairy! He is 4 now and extremely calm in the house but does pull on walks so the kids cannot hold him.

I've always liked cavs as the ones that i have met have lovely temperaments and seem very docile and friendly with kids. But I cannot speak for all of them as this is the ones I have met.

I also had a lurcher who was a gorgeous dog. He walked beautifully on and off the lead and would lie next to my daughters cot when she was a baby.

I would suggest you try and see some dogs in the flesh in their home environment to get a good idea of their temperaments.

Good luck and let us all know if you do get a new canine pal to join your family!!

Jo x
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It`s no good, I`ve got to ask.....
was the hair still on the dog when your son ate it?

Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by dougandi View Post
Thanks for all your reply's
i dont hate any dog,but i am really quite afraid of the staffy's.yes i have met a few that are fine but where i live the people that own them are the drunks and drug dealers that operate around the town and i dont want one.sorry if i offended anyone.
Dont worry you havent offended anyone - us staffy owners have thick skin! What we are basically saying though is don't rule them out completely. If you do go to a rescue centre and they want to introduce you to one - just go say hi! I think a retired greyhound is a good option, or maybe an older lurcher, they're lovely dogs too - lots on that dogs trust website too.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5