Female 

29-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Daisy looks fab

http://oncelovedrescue.org.uk/dogsneedingnewhomes/
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I would certainly suggest you look at the link that Claire and Daisy posted first.
Please remember too that no dog is 'bullet proof' even the easiest of tempered dogs can have off days and all dog-children interaction should be supervised.
Staffies are wonderful dogs in the right hands and I had one next door as a child and I used to play with him as often as I could! But your mind is made up with that, so I won't hit my head on a wall!
You really need to do lots of research and find a good rescue or an equally good breeder, take the kids along and see how your child is with the dog and vice versa.
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2011, 11:36 AM
This might be a handy thing for you to look at....its the dogs trust... You can select things like "good with children" "likes cuddles" etc and it will give you a list of dogs that they believe fit that type

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/default.aspx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 12:40 PM
A steady retired Greyhound might be great for you. Lots can live with cats and kids and some can be let off lead eventually. If you go to a good rescue who knows the temperament then they'll be able to help you find one who would fit your circumstances perfectly
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by dougandi View Post
i would consider any other dog but a staffy i am afraid.its the only dog that i am wary of no matter what anyone says.
Can I ask why ? Have you had a bad experience with one? Have you ever met one?

This is part of the reason that so many stay in rescue as there undeserved reputation precedes them. I find it all very sad.

If you have never met one then I really hope you will go and meet a friendly one, that one encounter might change your life.

This comes from a Staffie convert !!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Norwich Terrier - great size, love to sit on knees and snuggle - will play fetch forever, tolerant and kind.
Easy to train, easy going with other animals - excellent dogs.

I also have a Lab but as puppies they are mouthy and super bouncy and I think could be too OTT and atrtention seeking for some autistic children.

Also have a Malamute here who is awesome - she works with autistic children and is great - she's an excellent listener and gives very gentle kisses and will lean into the kids rather than leap all over them - but bit big and hard to train for a lot of people.

I would definitely look into Norwiches.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Sorry, don't agree with your attitude at all. As Sal says, have you ever met one? Had any experiences or going by what the press says.

I never would have considered a staffy before I met my OH, but now a staffy would be my first choice. Dougal is a deaf staffy and he's not got an aggressive bone in his body. Even under attack from another dog he will go and hide rather than retaliate...witness my post re my father's dog going for Dougal...my poor wimp ran and hid in the living room.

My 2 year old nephew has been hanging off his neck before and Dougal didn't bother, in fact when Aaron was clambering over the couch Dougal was pacing around whining cause he was worried about Aaron.

Speak to breeders, rescues etc and see what they recommend. I'm not saying take a staffy cause I love em, but find a dog that suits you and your family, just don't rule them out completely because of something you read...invariably you don't get the full story so you don't know the history of the dog.
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2011, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't trust a staffy around children.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
Why ? Just as big a bite as your darling labs and in my experience of labs a far better temperament!

I could quote and show you a million reasons why to trust them yet it only takes one news report for it all to be blown to pieces!

I would trust my Staffie with any kid any s
Day of the week . He has had kids pulling him screaming at him, has experienced horrid children hitting him and never do much as raised his eyebrow at it!

They are wonderful dogs with kids as are many dogs.what are you basing your opinion on?
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by paulandfloyd View Post
Please dont use the OPs post to rubbish other breeds of dog.

You're making a highly opinionised and unreasonable statement, absolutely no fact in it, which is totally unhelpful - to just say that one liner - sorry but I think thats completely backwards.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >