View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
My god. I'm horrified at this. I wouldn't let him near either of my dogs, and if I witnessed this incident, I'd report him without a doubt.

The trainer is cruel and barabaric and should be reported.

Poor dogs.
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:22 PM
No trainer like that would ever get their hands on my dog. If I ever happened to be in a similar situation , I wouldn't be afraid to tell the "trainer" EXACTLY what I thought of them . They would wish they had never met me ! I'm normally a very quiet , polite person and generally mind my own business , but after a lifetime of being bullied at school I can spot them a mile away. If I ever saw a so called trainer treat any dog like that , I would start by yelling at him/her WHAT THE F--- DO YOU THINK YOU ARE PLAYING AT ????? I would verbally rip them to shreds in front of their paying clients , and point out that they are nothing but a coward and a bully. I would demand a refund if I had paid for their "services" as a trainer , and I would not back down until he/she gave in !
OMG !!!! That makes me sound really nasty . But it is how I feel. There is no need EVER to treat any animal cruelly to "teach" it how to do something.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Hmm is there anything we can do about trainers like this?? Would the RSPCA get involved because it is cruelty?? also report them to whatever dog training body they are accredited to?? I am assuming that there are no places now that would want their name put to dogs screaming in the name of training
and an article in the local paper (or national) might be a way to help people who dont know any better and dont have the guts to put their small voice forward and say 'thats wrong!'

or.... if we hear of any classes like that how about a few dogsey members sign up for a class or two?? (of course never to let the trainer touch our dogs) /stand outside and offer to help the people with difficult dogs (I am sure many of us would happily give up some time to help an owner with a difficult dog - rather than have them taken into classes like that)
bullyfield
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
that sort of "handling" of a dog is barbaric ! its reminisent of old says and choke chains where they used to choke up dogs !

now it should and always should have been firm but fair and persistance lots of encouragement and find what ever possitive thing to motivate your dog make it fun and they learn faster!

this guy sounds like ex police ( not sure if it was said he was or not) so i doubt there is any form of governing body to report him to however RSPCA could be an option

i hope and pray that owners dont fall foul to his ways and means of instilling fear and pain as a dog will only give what it recieves and learns to fear human hands is dangerous in itself for any dog!

as for prong collars never even seen one they are illigal in the uk only ever seen pics they dont look very kind but i guess i cant really comment on em really but i will say that dragging dogs and making them scream certainly is not a good thing!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Its depressing to think how many 'trainers' there are going about who treat dogs with so little understanding.
A lot of people go to classes looking for help and trust the trainer to know what they're doing. If its your first dog you probably won't realise there are better ways of doing things or have other classes to compare with.
I think I'd vote with my feet and not go back. If that's the trainer's way of working I don't suppose arguing would do much good.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2008, 06:45 AM
This seems to be the 'old school' of dealing with non-compliance...

We did it hundreds of years ago to the slaves - they didn't understand our language, and was taught to comply by force. It worked! Dogs don't understand our language, and force will work on them as well... BUT... as we're getting more and more educated, we find different ways of getting results...

Prisoners were also presented with force, when they did something wrong.

Some countries now have a non-smacking law for children. Children are much more dexterous than dogs, and can get hurt, if not taught by the age of 2 what is acceptable or not... The parent will smack the child's hand with a firm NO, when he does something that might put him in danger... Dog mummy does the same to her puppies - teaches them not to bite, be a nuisance etc. That's why a puppy shouldn't leave the mother until at least 8 weeks old.

Human males 40+ would often have been brought up in an environment, which sees the man as dominant. If the man then finds himself non-dominant, he might try and subsidize by being rough, so he can live up to the expectations.
workinggsd
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
From the picture given, this trainer is an abusive person to dogs, and people should be warned and told about him.
Pinch/correction collars are not Illegal in the UK,
But it's people like this that use and abuse there position,and use training equipment incorrectly that give good tools and trainers a bad name, Name and shame the person if he is that bad and take some video footage of his training methords
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Slightly off topic but at a companion show obedience class a couple of weeks ago ( lowest class all on lead) the judge asked one of the competitors to remove the pronged collar he was wearing before he worked his dog & he said his trainer had advised him to keep it on so he had control if the dog went for another dog. When told it was against the rules to work in that collar he did take it off but very reluctantly. This horrified all of us there.
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Not to get into a debate or anything as I know there are some of his fans on here but IMO shows such as the dog whisperer which show quite... non positive physical methods contribute to people thinking that this sort of trainer is suitable.

If you've seen something similar on tv which achieved good results you're less likely to question it in a training class.
bullyfield
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2008, 08:08 PM
i stand corrected i always thought the prong collar was illegal my misstake

still i dont imagine them to be very nice on the poor dogs necks
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »