View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:27 AM
My mouth dropped open wide and my face all screwed up when I read half way through your post!!!!!!!!! What is he thinking doing that to ANY dog!!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRR, I'm soooooooooo mad! He wouldn't get near any of mine that's for sure, and if they've got any sense, nobody else's either! GRRRRRRR NOT the way to win a dog round, EVER!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:30 AM
The problem with this kind of trainner is they are so stuck in a rut. The whole this is the way I was taught so it must be right. When you try and point out there is another way they always seem to relatiate with "but it works doesn't it? My dogs well trained isn't it?'.

Well a hammer would crack an egg open but it doesn't mean its the best way does it?
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post

In my opinion
spiked collars are cruel and I would never use one. And I have had to rehabilitate a young bitch traumatised by being walked on one by a child. Comparing A to B doesn`t make A less painful.
1: A prong is a correction tool and should never be used to "walk" a dog. it should always be used in combination with a flat collar for leading the dog.
2: I can traumatise a dog with my voice if i wanted

So what's your point

I didn't comment on what happend because i wasn't there. It might be that the correction was just, to strong or unnecessary. I don't know so i don't comment. But i prefere one strong correction that works over dozens of minor corrections that don't do the trick. But every correction, if necessary, should be dosed correctly.

My original point was the OP implied: There were spike collars so it is a bad trainer.
This is based on a judgement of a trainingtool by it appearance percieved effects and not by it real effects.

Greetings

Johan
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Well I have trained loads of dobes in my time and not once have I had to resort to using such barbaric methods such as making them wear a pinch collar. The training of any dog boils down to the owner having perseverance and the dog earning your trust, because if you don't have either then your going to get nowhere.

The amount of times I have been told that this or that dog is untrainable, when in fact it's not, just because they are expecting it to learn something new within the first ten minutes of it being told something new.

Sorry but if I ever saw someone try to put one of those collars on a dog, I would end up putting it on them and then dragging them around to see how they liked it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
No way!

How is that sort of treatment supposed to build trust in you? I know a few people with this attitude. If the dog fears what you could do to him, and knows that you can hurt him - then he will respect you.

Rubbish.

I don't believe that training like this is necessary at all and I wouldn't stand by and allow anyone to treat any dog of mine that way. At one point I may have done - not so long ago I was very unsure of myself and 'let the professionals sort it' be it vets, trainers etc. but now I've learned to trust my own judgement and I can stick up for myself and my dog.

There is no way I would take my dog to any class like this and would most likely report the so-called 'trainer'!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
My original point was the OP implied: There were spike collars so it is a bad trainer.
This is based on a judgement of a trainingtool by it appearance percieved effects and not by it real effects.
Hmm I recall the OP saying he also dragged a dog across the room by the scruff making it scream and then smacked another dog hard.

The OP was giving a full version of events as she knew it - there were spike collars involved but also heavy handed aggression on the part of the trainer.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What we don`t understand (that`s not the Royal `we` - that`s the group of us talking about it) was why he`s got a full class! WHY would anyone think that treating their pet cruelly is training it? One person suggested that maybe it`s ignorant people with first dogs - but even before I ever had a dog I knew that cruelty was wrong.
Sometimes when you're so, so desperate to fix a problem and someone's a really good bull****ter you can fall for it.

I allowed ringcraft 'trainers' to do things with Takara that now I wouldn't let them do - obviously not as bad as what you describe but all the same, I had been convinced that I was wrong and as she was my first dog I was so worried I was ruining her that I actually allowed others to ruin her.

Since I've learnt to stick up for myself she's improved no end - things are more consistent and I am more assertive with others making her feel safer.

Worst thing is... I was right all along - just others made me feel inadequate!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 12:22 PM
My dog's been knocked about enough in the past, I certainly wouldn't be letting anyone do that to him now!
I agree with Lottie though. You would expect that someone who you're paying and who claims to be an expert would know what they were doing, and when they tell you that it's necessary you buy it I expect thats why many first time owners end up with dogs who have issues...
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Well I have trained loads of dobes in my time and not once have I had to resort to using such barbaric methods such as making them wear a pinch collar. The training of any dog boils down to the owner having perseverance and the dog earning your trust, because if you don't have either then your going to get nowhere.

The amount of times I have been told that this or that dog is untrainable, when in fact it's not, just because they are expecting it to learn something new within the first ten minutes of it being told something new.

Sorry but if I ever saw someone try to put one of those collars on a dog, I would end up putting it on them and then dragging them around to see how they liked it.

Do you use a slip or fursaver?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I read the post and cringed.

Some people seem to have these 'unfixable problems' and seek anywhere to get it fixed. Whether thats a last resort for them, or maybe for thier partners/family, who maybe are giving them grief over the dogs behaviour.
Reading through I see that some again are picking up on ''what collars'' ''why'' ''what they do'' ''what collar do you use etc'' the fact remains that a dog is in the hands of a complete stranger being dragged across the floor, and hit.

Would you let someone put thier hands on your child and do this.....I doubt it, so why let someone do that to a dog.

I agree with those that DON'T use spiked collars........but before anyone starts ''''what collar do you use'''' forget it...

The fact remains as I said....No-One should drag someone elses dog across ANYWHERE and HIT it and making it SCREAM....that was what the PO wrote
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »