Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:28 AM

`No nonsense` or cruelty?

Yesterday a trainer told us about someone with a challenging dog who had found a club nearer to his home, which would take aggressive / difficult dogs. He was thinking of going but wasn`t sure - and had asked her to go and look and give him an opinion.
The club is run by an ex-policeman who says he can train ANY dog - but people don`t like his methods. All the dogs wear pinch (spiked) collars. While she was there he grabbed one dog by the scruff, making him scream, and dragged him across the hall. He then hit another dog hard.
We couldn`t understand why anyone would stand by and watch someone abuse their dog. I would have had the guy by the throat if he`d laid hands on my dog.
The original bloke is still thinking of going because the man says he can sort his dog out. Would you? I don`t think the ends justify the means - do you?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:51 AM
You want the short answer?

No.

I wouldn't touch the class with a bargepole. The trainers I work with are firm but fair. They have no need to drag, hit, shout at, or hurt my dogs in anyway.

At what price does a dog need "sorting out"?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 09:52 AM
OMFG!!!
the guy would need an ambulane if i saw that!!

sorry but not a cat in hells chance would i let him near my dog!!

he prob only gets results because he bullys them!

arrrggghhh how some people can let people like this near dogs is beyond me!!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 10:07 AM
The problem is he's not curing the trouble only overcoming it with fear. I'd not let this man near any of mine with a barge pole, even if I had an issue to solve.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
What we don`t understand (that`s not the Royal `we` - that`s the group of us talking about it) was why he`s got a full class! WHY would anyone think that treating their pet cruelly is training it? One person suggested that maybe it`s ignorant people with first dogs - but even before I ever had a dog I knew that cruelty was wrong.
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
He should never be allowed near a dog!!!....I wonder how he treats children.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Its so sad that there are still trainers around like him..

No I would not got to him in a million yrs..

But on the note of people standing by why a trainer abuses their dogs,,,, it is easy for us to say when we are not in the middle of it.

Sometimes people when in the moment react in different ways... their guts are telling them this is wrong , but they may be frozen in the moment...

It is if they go back for a second helping, then they need to be certified.

I remember yrs ago when Bandit was a pup, took him at 12 wks old, to a highly recommended trainer... paid my money up front... and the first thing this trainer said was "oh a Boxer" (should have run then) in trying to teach him to sit, (he had no idea) she took him by the scruff, and forced him down...Bandit reacted badly, trying to bite and cry... she said "you have to treat these dogs like this... I said no you dont, thank you for your time, picked him up and left...never went back.

I had another experience with Millie which was horrific, it took me much longer to react to the situation... I stood there and watched in slow motion what was going on.... when I got myself together.... again I picked my girl up, made my feeling felt, and left... without paying this time..

I will never forgive myself for that experience I put her through EVER!!!!

I consider myself to be able to stand up for my principles, and not be pushed into doing things I feel wrong...but it just shows you , you never know how you will react in the moment...
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I suppose it also depends on how desperate the person is, and how bad their perceive their "problem" to be?

Do they feel they've exhausted the usual methods, do they feel that their dog's problem is so bad it needs drastic action?

I think you've also got to realise that some people may have grown up seeing dogs treated this way (for whatever reason) and still don't see the problem with it, as in "Well, it's only a dog, this'll teach it how to behave" .....
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Yesterday . All the dogs wear pinch (spiked) collars.
Less damaging than a slip which is used whidspread by the general public and does major injuries on the troath

This being said not all dogs need it just as not all dogs need an e-collar or some other training aid

Greetings

Johan
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Less damaging than a slip which is used whidspread by the general public and does major injuries on the troath

This being said not all dogs need it just as not all dogs need an e-collar or some other training aid

Greetings

Johan

In my opinion
spiked collars are cruel and I would never use one. And I have had to rehabilitate a young bitch traumatised by being walked on one by a child. Comparing A to B doesn`t make A less painful.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »