Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lindsay&River View Post
I did write a blog post about getting a dog used to a car very slowly over time. The steps recommended by the trainers I talked to involved starting out by just sitting in the car in the garage for 5 mins without actually turning the car on. Do that for 5 mins at a time over several days. Then, do the same but start the car without actually going anywhere. Do that several times over several days, etc. Hope that helps!
We tried that approach , getting him used to being in the car , up to sitting in there with engine running and a short up and down the driveway trip. Then on a short 5 minute drive , we were back to square one.

Just a humans have illogical fears about flying , riding in elevators or going outside their own home , we may have to resign ourselves to the fact he will never be a traveler and have to be medicated whenever we NEED to take him anywhere....but we're going to continue trying with trips to the park anyway.

As for another vehicle , I was wondering this too. That's why I was thinking of a second hand small RV to see if that would make a difference.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2015, 09:36 AM
Our pup is sick also - ive invested in a soft crate for the back seat. When she was little she travelled in a small dog /large cat carrier with no problems. Its only from shes been travelling on the back seat with harness attached to seat belt we have had this issue.

Interestingly she is also reluctant to get in the car. We have had dogs in the past that were car sick but akways happy to jump in & out of the car.

We are hoping the soft crate will give her security. I have also got some "Rescue Remedy" to try. You put a drop on their tongue about half an hour before a journey. I havent tried either yet / just got both within last week.

Have you tried crating in the car covering the crate like a den effect to reduce anxiety?
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2015, 04:20 PM
We've considered the crate .. yes .. but haven't tried one yet.We only have the wire crates in the house that they now consider their "doggy beds" and they're too big and awkward to put up in the car.A soft sided crate might be worth a shot though.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Various things to try:
Vanilla ice cream just before you set off.
Homeopathic remedies: They can be made for either a diesel car or petrol car.
Have you tried to see if he still vomits even on an empty stomach?
Have you tried a different vehicle to see if it is just your car?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Just be aware dogs claws can rip a soft crate to bits in no time.
Try him in a friends car before going and buying one if you think your car is to blame.
Try him in the footwell, front and back to see if it makes any difference. It frequently helps if they can't see out.
Mine actually do best in the boot with others for company and a huge soft bed to sink into which prevents any rolling about.
Or maybe try a totally covered crate in say the boot.
I was always travel sick as a kid, nothing worked and still suffer if I'm a passenger, so will try to fall asleep rather than map read or navigate better still to drive, never once been affected while driving.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2015, 02:35 AM
I was going to suggest Rescue Remedy. I've never tried it for dogs or people, but many swear by it.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Hello Beerhunter!

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, gearing him up to it, making the car as pleasant as possible, all that. Even if it isn't working wonders for you I'd keep doing that: the little short trips, praising him and petting him and being cheerful about the whole shebang. Just as with humans, some dogs just don't do very well in cars. It could be anything: general anxiety, some weird smell that's specific to cars, or just the fact of motion. We had a boy who was fine in the car until about 5 minutes before we arrived at my mum in law's place. For him, it was the Edinburgh cobblestones. Barftastic, every time. What is the Mahlemut for He Who Barfs In Cars?

You're best placed to observe him, and if he's worried about the unpleasant experience of vomiting as you suggest, there's little you can do for that specifically except to minimise the process. Feed him only little, light, easy meals before traveling, and make sure it isn't something that will be awful or stinky coming back up (yes, I understand that these are *very* relative notions). Do you have one of those unspillable water bowls? They aren't unspillable, but they do a fair enough job, so it might be worth looking in to getting one of those for him. You can try cooling him down by gently dampening his ears and forelegs with water before a road trip. The cooling might help assuage his nausea. And if you have to go somewhere, just make sure you have quick clean-up gear available. Go ahead and keep newspaper and old towels in the car, and a packet of extra-sensitive baby wipes in your glove box for emergencies. There's nothing worse than the smell of barf to set you off again if you're not feeling all that ship-shape, and a quick clean up is best if you need it. That will make it easier on him too: less fuss, less anxiety, for everyone.

Every dog is different and each will have their bugbears. I hope you find something that works!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2