Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Anyone who eats meat but disagrees with the shooting of game animals (for the table) is a massive hypocrite IMO.
I don't disagree with shooting game, just some of the practices that run alongside.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
What I find difficult to stomach at times though is that the shoot fraternity love and respects the countryside and the birds (well, other than raptors ) but to the detriment of all that can be classed as predators. Foxes, stoats, weasels, etc are all wiped out to protect the birds. I would prefer to see a happy medium.
to be fair to this shoot, again if it gets away its gets away, they have a couple of fox drives in the summer, when the birds have just gone down, but no digging out trapping etc, the fox that got shot last saturday, if they couldn't guarantee a clean shot or it was unsafe it would have been allowed to get away, its not a large commercial shoot, just a smallish 100 bird day shoot, but it is a shoot that as far as i have seen in the last 4 years respects its environment and the animals within it
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't disagree with shooting game, just some of the practices that run alongside.
I'm sure most of us could find something we disagree with about everything. But I know what you mean.

Some people are just such hypocrites about it though. The people who moan about how cruel it (game shooting) is and then go and eat an Asda battery farmed chicken for dinner.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
besides the point.

nature sets nature, biological imperative

man sets dog, artificial created situation

if the dog was feral, living off the land, your analogy would fit.

your analogy may even fit if a pet dog opportunistically kills a rabbit etc, as again that's nature's instinct.
and fair enough
its natures instinct for a hound to hunt...
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
its natures instinct for a hound to hunt...
if you read my post, worded carefully, you will see i acknowledged that
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I'm sure most of us could find something we disagree with about everything. But I know what you mean.

Some people are just such hypocrites about it though. The people who moan about how cruel it (game shooting) is and then go and eat an Asda battery farmed chicken for dinner.
thats what i said to my mum the other day when she questioned me because i bought free range eggs, even though the battery eggs were cheaper
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
if you read my post, worded carefully, you will see i acknowledged that
my point being that it doesnt matter whether the dog was a stray or not, a hounds instinct is always to hunt. it doesnt matter whether it be out with a person, or on its own.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
It makes perfect sence to me why some may enjoy killing, just like it makes sence that other species enjoy it.
I agree. Although there is also a world of difference between a person who will take a clean shot and want to kill an animal as quickly as possible, and the kind of person who would torture an animal to death
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I agree. Although there is also a world of difference between a person who will take a clean shot and want to kill an animal as quickly as possible, and the kind of person who would torture an animal to death
people that hunt and shoot have great respect for the animals they kill, i think thats the main difference.
one man i know even reared a litter of orphan fox cubs one year (mother had been hit by a car) yet he still hunts every season and will still kill a fox. doesnt mean he doesnt like them, he just does what he sees necessary, countryside management.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
People choose not to look at the bigger picture Steve, always have. If they saw the MASSIVE increase of mange ridden animals, over population creeping further into towns etc.. and the REAL harm these animals do, they may think again. However they choose not to see any of it. Still Rats, Wasps etc.. all get slaughtered, trapped, poisoned, gassed etc.. why are they different?

I too enjoy shooting. Rough shooting. I njoy working the dogs too, I wont stop for peoples ignorance or blinkered view of the bigger picture. I have no hang ups with anything I do.
Over population creeping into town, now that is a blinkered view point, it is towns that are creeping outwards taking over ground that was once home to many of the wild creatures that are hunted, dug up - slaughtered and torn apart
Page 16 of 27 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »