Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
That was brill! Well done Zeff & well done you

Can i borrow you for a few days?! *wonder how much it would be to courier a big dog a medium dog & a small dog*

xx
!! Err....no, your more than welcome to come down though

Originally Posted by STGSD View Post
Aw what a good lad! Can I borrow you too!! I really need to be doing more training with mine!
We do fun stuff - I am a bit lax with training my own!

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Amazing.....

Who was whining in the background?

Siren....living up to her name! Not impressed I was working the young upstart!

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Oh bless him. Brilliant downs!!! Just need to speed up that outrun(walk).
Hes got nice movement, effortless. Does he "trot" ? Youve gotta do HWTM with him...... little red riding hoodroutine!
Speed up!!! You serious!? this is fast for Zeff!!! He does not waste any more energy than he absolutely as to!!

Trotting is coming along -but he is only happy working in this hall - and it is not really big enough to get him going, he does not have the confidence to do it anywhere else.

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
He did well, love they way he does down, so elegant
Thanks

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Bless him he was trying so hard
Yes....he does, and always looks so serious! Bless him. It hurts the brain cell!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Occassiaonlly - very occasionally - it actually wants to do something.

I know this does not look much but there are 2 things going on here...1 - he actually wanted to work 2 - he took kibble as a reward! (He usually turns his nose up at it for meals let alone 'treats'!!!)

That is an amazing movement he has Tassle ... talk about airs above the ground!!

You have done wonders with him, I am most impressed. He is as ever absolutely stunning!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Wow - I am seriously impressed. I have difficulties enough trying to stop Pereg from sticking to me like glue let alone do a send-away.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
!!
Speed up!!! You serious!? this is fast for Zeff!!! He does not waste any more energy than he absolutely as to!!

Trotting is coming along -but he is only happy working in this hall - and it is not really big enough to get him going, he does not have the confidence to do it anywhere else.

!
Youll get there! I think he could be stunning
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Youll get there! I think he could be stunning
He will now sometimes work on this with someone (stranger) in the hall. I prefer to demo the idea with him rather than Siren as people get the wrong idea if I use a collie!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
That is an amazing movement he has Tassle ... talk about airs above the ground!!

You have done wonders with him, I am most impressed. He is as ever absolutely stunning!
- flat footed!
Thanks

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Wow - I am seriously impressed. I have difficulties enough trying to stop Pereg from sticking to me like glue let alone do a send-away.
Aww - it is one of the really fun games we teach - which is why Zeff is more keen on it that other games (like stays!)
People are always amazed at how fast dogs (and especially pups) pick this up.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2011, 09:12 PM
- flat footed!
Thanks

Aww - it is one of the really fun games we teach - which is why Zeff is more keen on it that other games (like stays!)
People are always amazed at how fast dogs (and especially pups) pick this up.
Not flat-footed ... that is wolf movement!!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Lovely video! He looks like he's concentrating so hard! He has lovely movement, and when he walks away, you can tell he's not using any more energy than needed!
How do you teach a sendaway? Looks like fun and I'd like to expand Axel's repetoire. Is it good for lazy and easily distracted dogs?
Any more videos of this luchious lad will be happily received I'm sure!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I start with a Hand touch....then transfer it to another object (in this case and old CD).

Once the dog is consistently touching the Object I will place it on the floor (and get my hands behind my back to eliminate confusion).

As the dog shows interest in the CD I Click/Mark it and throw (important) the food behind the article. Sometimes you have to teach the dog to chase the food.

You should always aim to get the food behind the target, so that when the dog turns - it is facing the target again and you can repeat, All without the dog coming back to you.

You will find that the dog stops trying to come back to you and chooses to stay by the target (as this is what gets the food)

At this point you can start to introduce a position command.
One reason I teach this to puppies is to get them to stop at a distance (for the worst case scenario running across a road, If the dog has managed to run across a road and make it - you don't want to call it back - you want to stop it so you can go and get it)
The main issue people find (if they have not trained a distance position) is that the dog has not generalised the position enough to be able to do it away from the handler.
Comes down to how well your dog knows its positions - lots of people swear blind their dog knows sit - until they ask the dog to do it 20 ft away (or lying on the floor) etc.

Once I have introduced a position - I will only ask the dog to do it once every 4-5 times, as initially, I really want to keep the enthusiasm on the outrun (honestly that is enthusiasm from Zeff!)

As the dog is developing - I will start to do it in new situations etc.

Hope that helps - I will try and do a little vid later today.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I start with a Hand touch....then transfer it to another object (in this case and old CD).

Once the dog is consistently touching the Object I will place it on the floor (and get my hands behind my back to eliminate confusion).

As the dog shows interest in the CD I Click/Mark it and throw (important) the food behind the article. Sometimes you have to teach the dog to chase the food.

You should always aim to get the food behind the target, so that when the dog turns - it is facing the target again and you can repeat, All without the dog coming back to you.

You will find that the dog stops trying to come back to you and chooses to stay by the target (as this is what gets the food)

At this point you can start to introduce a position command.
One reason I teach this to puppies is to get them to stop at a distance (for the worst case scenario running across a road, If the dog has managed to run across a road and make it - you don't want to call it back - you want to stop it so you can go and get it)
The main issue people find (if they have not trained a distance position) is that the dog has not generalised the position enough to be able to do it away from the handler.
Comes down to how well your dog knows its positions - lots of people swear blind their dog knows sit - until they ask the dog to do it 20 ft away (or lying on the floor) etc.

Once I have introduced a position - I will only ask the dog to do it once every 4-5 times, as initially, I really want to keep the enthusiasm on the outrun (honestly that is enthusiasm from Zeff!)

As the dog is developing - I will start to do it in new situations etc.

Hope that helps - I will try and do a little vid later today.
Thanks! That does really help, a video would be even more helpful as seeing things helps me retain them. Really interesting stuff though
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2