Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kizzymoo
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Worming for first time at 1 year old

Hi, we have recently taken in a staffy from a family member. I have found out that she's never been wormed, she's almost 1.

My question is does she need a course of fortnightly worming tablets the same as a puppy would do, or will just the normal annual dose be enough for her? Also, she's just had her first puppy vaccination, is it ok to worm her now or should I wait till she's had the 2nd vacc? Just worried about piling too many chemicals on her.

What worming tablets are the best to buy?

Thanks
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kizzymoo View Post
Hi, we have recently taken in a staffy from a family member. I have found out that she's never been wormed, she's almost 1.

My question is does she need a course of fortnightly worming tablets the same as a puppy would do, or will just the normal annual dose be enough for her? Also, she's just had her first puppy vaccination, is it ok to worm her now or should I wait till she's had the 2nd vacc? Just worried about piling too many chemicals on her.

What worming tablets are the best to buy?

Thanks
hi

i would go back to the vets with her and weigh her as worming needs to be by bodyweight,find out what your vet uses as first line,hopefully it will be something that covers lungworm too,pet shop products are either useless or toxic so i would avoid them.
also dogs need worming depending on lifestyle but once a year really isnt enough,3-4 times a year is minimum(in line with bva guidelines ),lungworm can kill and needs more routine worming,also tapeworm needs to be covered if you are feeding raw,if your dog hunts,or has/had fleas.not all products do all of these combined,so best as said,go back to your vets