Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murphy's Law
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Younger dog is aggressive to older dog when out walking

Hi

I have 2 BC's aged 2 (Murphy) and 1 (Bailey). They mostly get on very well except for when out walking. Murph is not allowed to have a ball or a stick without Bailey going for his neck and forcing him to drop the stick. If they come into contact with other dogs they are very friendly but after a short while Bailey will lunge himself towards Murph again going for his neck - there is no concern for the people or dogs around them. I can only stop this behaviour by showing Bailey a tennis ball to divert his attention. I don't think Murphy is particulary bothered about this but he does end up with cuts.

I wondered if anyone could tell me why Bailey does this and offer some advice.

Thanks
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
If the tennis ball diverts him use it all the time. Get him so hooked on it on walks that he doesn't even look at other dogs.

rune
Shuzzbatt
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Personally, I would take certain steps to deal with this.. and I would stick to them.

Remember that, if the dog is gaining reinforcement (i.e. Bailey gets ball) at all, then he will keep repeating it. The fact that you possibly/probably also reinforce it, simply by reacting and/or getting the ball away from him is just adding to it.

Number 1 'rule' would be: No more balls on walks.. (until you have taught Bailey some 'manners') - incidentally, I would never allow my dogs to play with sticks - I had a dog that had a stick pierce the roof of his mouth.. it was a very nasty wound and took a very long time to heal.. and he got off lightly...!

Number 2: Teach Bailey some self-control - initially, use the 'food in closed fist' (knuckles up) is "mine" (yours), and when he backs off voluntarily, immediately open and rotate your hand into 'food on open palm' is "yours" (his). This teaches him that he needs to self-control himself, in order to get what he wants. You can move it on (gradually) to 'spider-hand' over food (still yours) on floor, and he doesn't get it until he's backed off and waited for you to pick it up and offer it to him on 'open palm' (his). (Do these excercises both with Murphy in the vicinity, and not).Then repeat the whole thing with a toy, whilst randomly still doing it with food. Build it into a strong behaviour, until you can put it on the floor, stand up, move away, twiddle your thumbs, do a little jig.... you get my drift.. lol. You can also, eventually, move this on to throwing toy/Bailey doesn't get it until you tell him 'ok' (or whatever word you choose).
Generalise all of this self-control training.... in your garden, on the street, in a car park.. all relatively non-exciting, non-stimulative places to start with.. then, eventually, move it on to walks. - any reversion in behaviour in Bailey means take a step back, do it again.
In the meantime, I would be training both dogs to do simple behaviours (sit, down, stay etc.), both together, and one at a time, so that Bailey gets used to seeing Murphy get rewarded, but knowing that it will soon be 'his turn'.

Well, that's what I would do...
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I have a similar situation with my 15 month old BC and 3 year old BC but, to be perfectly honest, I regard it as puppy play that she will soon grow out of. She never actually makes contact with his skin, just grabs at his neck hair. At home, they play quite happily together.

I would reiterate the comments about sticks - I had a labrador who ran into a stick which had become lodged in the sand on a beach, javelin style. He was lucky too with no lasting damage but never again!
Murphy's Law
New Member!
Female 

03-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all responses. Sorry it's taken me so long to acknowledge - my pc has been broken!

Emer