View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 11:36 AM
We got Mollie around the time she had her first TV series and were very impressed with her, until that is we tried the techniques with Mollie. We gave it a good try but at 6 months we suddenly realised Mollie was so confused she didn't know what to do at all. So we went back to basics and ignored Jan and her theories and ended up in just a few weeks with a lovely girl who sat, came, and was housetrained.
Now I am not going to condemn her out of hand as I am not a trainer and it could be Mollie just needed another approach but I do think her one size fits all is not right but then I would still rather follow her advice than another trainer who seems very popular on TV at the moment but I am sure is doing far more harm than good.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
We got Mollie around the time she had her first TV series and were very impressed with her, until that is we tried the techniques with Mollie. We gave it a good try but at 6 months we suddenly realised Mollie was so confused she didn't know what to do at all. So we went back to basics and ignored Jan and her theories and ended up in just a few weeks with a lovely girl who sat, came, and was housetrained.
Now I am not going to condemn her out of hand as I am not a trainer and it could be Mollie just needed another approach but I do think her one size fits all is not right but then I would still rather follow her advice than another trainer who seems very popular on TV at the moment but I am sure is doing far more harm than good.
But perhaps you're better off following your own instincts that taking any notice of JF or any other still to be nameless TV trainer. You seem to have sorted it out with Mollie very happily
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Oh absolutely agree but some people's instincts would be not something I would like see followed with a dog either.

Actually an example would be happening on another forum at the moment where you have a person with an 11 week old pup that mouths and the reaction to that is to call the dog aggresive and to pick up pup by neck and roll it over to dominate it - not someone who should be following their own instincts at all in fact not someone I would even give a dog to either.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Thanks LEANNE & ADAM & BEN

I appreciate everyone's responses

BEN - I totally agree with you, I don't understand how JF can think some poor dog will know *why* it's being ignored five days later! Seems rather cruel and personally I couldn't ignore my dog for ten mins, let alone five days!
Yes thats what makes it impractical imo, people just won't do it consitently.

Also dogs will go through extinction bursts (try harder) to get attention, while she does address this it can get quite extreme and some dogs are very hard to ignore lol.

Adam
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Oh absolutely agree but some people's instincts would be not something I would like see followed with a dog either.

Actually an example would be happening on another forum at the moment where you have a person with an 11 week old pup that mouths and the reaction to that is to call the dog aggresive and to pick up pup by neck and roll it over to dominate it - not someone who should be following their own instincts at all in fact not someone I would even give a dog to either.
Yes I met a couple who were at a training class with their 10 week old border tterrier pup and it 'boinged' another puppy in play and the trainer picked it up and pinned it down, being a fistey confused little dog he started growling and trying to get free, the trainer saw this as a sign that the puppy was v dom and pinned it to the floor till it was sick
Thankfully they asked me if this was what training was like and I was able to point them to a good trainer - and the puppy has never growled at another person again and is a happy bouncy puppy
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4