View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 04:13 PM
There will always be a split in the breed regarding type, to the point that you sometimes could be forgiven for thinking you are looking at two different breeds.

I think it is long overdue to drop the Alsatian name.
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
taken directly from wikipedia
I have just read this information the other day out of interest although the one I read said it was changed to "alsation" in world war 2 not world war 1. very strange Either way what lovely dogs they are, what ever they decide to call them
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Jeez, it's 65 years since WW2 ended, and people are still arguing about it?????

Snorri
My Auntie wouldn't attend my niece's wedding because she had married a German! He's lovely too and no he wasn't in the war as he was only 25. Sad isn't it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by jordanio0207 View Post
I have just read this information the other day out of interest although the one I read said it was changed to "alsation" in world war 2 not world war 1.
It was after WW1 but long before WW2...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=20557

This lovely Pathe newsreel film clip is from 1924, and shows "The Alsatian Wolf Dog Club" doing agility and trials.
gsd lover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
ok so they remove alsation from the title of the breed standard, not such a big deal,

however there are still people out there who believe that both names are associated with different dogs/breeds, i have heard everything from a gsd is longcoat and alsation short, i have heard that if it has a straight back its alsation, if its sloped its gsd and the other way about, the only way to prove to these people that they are infact one in the same was the breed standard, although now i just try to ignore it as some people are just so set in there ways that they are different breeds instead of one, and it has always been something that really p'd me right off, so i avoid getting into an argument over it now.
i once had a long argument with someone who truely thought they were 2 different breeds they told me kai was a alsatian not a german shepherd i laughed and said "yeah ofcourse during the war she was do me a favour look up the breed history they are the same breed" i can see how it can be confuseing for none doggy ppl maybe its a good idea they are dropping it will save some red faces
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by gilli and jago View Post
yep but in terms of what the name represents as opposed to the official breed name? Is that not to do with shape?

Sorry I know I'm extremely thick about this as I'm from an agility background rather than a showing one. Just very curious and would love to know more if anyone can offer info?
That is lines/types within the breed

There are English, American, Germanic & Czech lines, all differing from one another.

Working & show lines are gradually coming together with some good British kennels gaining working titles overseas.
THe GSD is supposed to be an all rounder, fit to work as well as looking good.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I have heard the term `Alsationist` used in a non-complimentary way. I believe it refers to the non-standard breeders who breed a non-german type?
I don`t show or breed and have owned all types so I`m not bothered. They are beautiful dogs.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 07:42 PM
GSD is 'not my breed' but I've met people who think its terrible to call a GSD an Alsation, apparently its a derogitery (sp?) term but anyone Ive heard call them Alsations has never come accross as using it in that manner.

So, in 2010, what is the big deal about whether someone refers to them as a GSD or an Alsation?

Also, I think someone mentioned form following function in not so many words but working line shepherds still seem to look so different (overall) I'm just curious, as I said its not the breed I own but there seems to be so much politics going on around such an old breed......just wonder what its all about really.

Some people seem to not want them to be called Alsations but will go and buy a long coat with no under coat which I believe is a 'fault'

I just dont get it all tbh lol
newbreed
New Member!
Male 

25-02-2012, 11:24 PM
love this post growing up we always had gsd but my dad always called them allys, I always thought Alsatian was just what the gsd was called in the usa because lets face it usa never like the germans though out the war , was it the usa that added pincher to the dobbermans name , i have met people who think thay are two different breeds as well coz of the pointed ears in the usa
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by newbreed View Post
was it the usa that added pincher to the dobbermans name , i have met people who think thay are two different breeds as well coz of the pointed ears in the usa
Far as I know, the word Pinscher is German and comes from there. I'd need to look it up but I think it derives from a sharp snappy dog like a terrier which will kill vermin quickly, with a "pinch" bite.

Nothing to do with pointed ears, as it was commonplace to cut the ears of puppies to make them stand upright. Ear cropping was banned in the UK in the early 19th century but some countries still do it.

I will never forget seeing a Dobermann puppy in a large Paris department store with stitches in its ears when I was a teenager - at the time I thought it was a rescue, having been taken from someone who had tried to cut its ears off, and I felt physically sick. It was only much later I realised it ear cropping is a normal procedure in many countries.

I could never enjoy watching Scooby Doo after that (he is a Great Dane with cropped ears).
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >