Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Zylkene or Serene-UM? (firework fear)

Which of these would you prefer to try first for a fear of firework season?

Just wondering!

Thanks.
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I've used zylkene for a dog that stressed when he went in the ring at agility shows just to get a headstart on chilling him out. Never used it for fireworks but i see no reason you couldn't use it. You'd need t start immediately though as it takes a while to get into the season.

With my old firework phobic dog I found that having a few friends he knew round to give him something else to think about plus curtains drawn, music on to blot the bangs a bit, a nice safe den to hide in and a DAP diffuser and me chilling out with a pint in the lounge with him helped immensely

They read so much from our reactions so if you stay happy and relaxed and let them hide in their safe den if the feel the need it makes a huge difference
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by gilli and jago View Post
I've used zylkene for a dog that stressed when he went in the ring at agility shows just to get a headstart on chilling him out. Never used it for fireworks but i see no reason you couldn't use it. You'd need t start immediately though as it takes a while to get into the season.

With my old firework phobic dog I found that having a few friends he knew round to give him something else to think about plus curtains drawn, music on to blot the bangs a bit, a nice safe den to hide in and a DAP diffuser and me chilling out with a pint in the lounge with him helped immensely

They read so much from our reactions so if you stay happy and relaxed and let them hide in their safe den if the feel the need it makes a huge difference
Thanks for your reply.

Not sure exactly about your area, but around here the fireworks last for weeks around here and at all hours, unfortunately. And it only take one or two to upset Roxy for days.

Good idea about having friends with dogs round, that I could do some nights but it's not practical every night.

I've already got the DAP diffuser plugged it. I'll be putting the collar on her very soon as well. She's also getting a Skullcap and Valerian herbal supplement as well. Shouldn't do any harm anyway, even if it doesn't work! It took the edge of slightly last year with just the S&V, but not enough to make a huge difference which is what I'm really hoping for.

Also tried the sound discs - no use!

I'm just wondering about these two products really out of curiousity, not that I'm intending to try them. Not at the moment anyway.

All the curtains will be drawn anyway, TVs will all be on etc every night but as said previously, it only takes one or two loud bangs to upset Roxy for ages. She's better now than she used to be, but still not great.

My other dog (who I've had from a puppy, Roxy was a rescue at 5.5 years old), isn't bothered about them in the slightest!

I do agree with the owners behaving as they always would though and that's what we do, doesn't help Roxy much though, sadly.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't know if this will help, but i know of two people that had their dogs on zylkene and it made them act very out of character and start to be quite aggressive

Jann
xxx
dave2003
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2010, 12:32 AM
i have tried zylkene with dave for fear of fireworks and it made no difference all we got was the runs!
the serene um seemed to have a more calming effect and i've found it helps when the ice cream van lets rip around town as he is petrified of the noise.
although i cant take him out instantly a couple of the serene um tablets means that he will go out with me later on.
this will be the third year for firework night since i adopted him so i'm organised and will be giving the tablets very soon.

hope this helps
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Fudge started Zylkene last year for firework fear.You have to start a few weeks before for it to build in the system.I do think it calmed her down but unfortunately she was very sick on it and so we stopped after a couple of days.No idea why it should have affected her as it is only a milk protein product.

However, the beat thing I have found for her is actually an anxiety wrap. this is a bandage that stretches and is wrapped in a particular way and uses Ttouch principles.she gets very excited when she knows it is coming out and loves wearing it so must do something as she is much better with it on....

We have tried every product designed to ease anxiety and this is non-invasive and the cheapest!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Don't know if this will help, but i know of two people that had their dogs on zylkene and it made them act very out of character and start to be quite aggressive

Jann
xxx
Good grief. If you think this is true, then I won't using it, even if it's only two dogs out of god knows how many as Roxy doesn't have a bad bone in her body just now and I don't want to risk anything upsetting it.

Wonder why it had that effect on them?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Fudge started Zylkene last year for firework fear.You have to start a few weeks before for it to build in the system.I do think it calmed her down but unfortunately she was very sick on it and so we stopped after a couple of days.No idea why it should have affected her as it is only a milk protein product.

However, the beat thing I have found for her is actually an anxiety wrap. this is a bandage that stretches and is wrapped in a particular way and uses Ttouch principles.she gets very excited when she knows it is coming out and loves wearing it so must do something as she is much better with it on....

We have tried every product designed to ease anxiety and this is non-invasive and the cheapest!
Very interesting. Thanks for your input!

I had almost forgot about the TTouch wraps, so thank you for reminding me! I'll definitely be doing that this year along with all the other things!

Really good to hear it works for Fudge, too.