Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:32 PM

What a horrid pet shop.

I went into town today and as I had to get some more food for the chins and rabbits I went into a pet shop, and I wish that I hadn't, all of the food for the smaller animals is near the livestock down there, and as I was walking around I looked at the animals, and there was rabbits and GP's housed together, in cages which had no shelter for the animals to hide in from the public, they had some hay to try and hide in, but that was it, they also had no toys or anything, and there was only one bowl of food, I looked for something like oranges in there for the GPs, as the shop also sells soft drinks and fruit and veg but there was no fresh food for them, or anything extra for the gunie's that I could see.

After seeing this I walked round and they had gerbils in cages that were IMO unsuitable for them, they were just metal cages stacked on top of each other with a ladder running at the back, one male got stuck, and you could see things in there that must of been pushed through the bars, like a pencil , so I carried on walking round, at this point still not seeing any toys in any of the animals cages, just food and water, I also saw different types of Hamsters there, and loads of birds, which were making so much noise which couldn't of been for the best for the other animals there, and they had little finches with what looked like too many per cage, and they had 3 cockateals in there too, one of them had plucked all of its feathers off its chest, and it was still left in the shop with members of the public looking at it, and also two African greys, who were both looking very stressed, one of them was plucking its feathers and the other one was just pacing along the floor of the cage.

After seeing all of this I just walked out, as I wasn't going to buy anything from a shop like this, and went around the corner, where I found a much better pet shop, but the best thing about it was that it didn't sell any animals at all
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I would report that shop, if those animals are not being looked after properly then report them to the RSPCA or maybe someone on here knows who to report them too. don't pet shops have to be inspected?

x
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:44 PM
From what I know they are inspected by their local authority twice a year, to keep their licence, I'm just trying to find the website or contact no. to report them now
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
From what I know they are inspected by their local authority twice a year, to keep their licence, I'm just trying to find the website or contact no. to report them now
Nice one!!!! you go!!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2010, 02:46 PM
We are inspected once a year to get our licence (around the time it is up for renewal).
I would report them too!
Just ring the local council and ask for environmental health!