View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I seem to have the same bird coming up to my patio doors (where there's no snow every morning) I don't know what it is - it's brown /speckled.Also have Waggy tails which are my favourite bird, a robin & the pheasant (which sends Tilly bonkers)

is it ok to give them Xmas cake? I can't stand the stuff (I'll take the icing & marzipan off)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I seem to have the same bird coming up to my patio doors (where there's no snow every morning) also have Waggy tails which are my favourite bird, a robin & the pheasant (which sends Tilly bonkers)

is it ok to give them Xmas cake? I can't stand the stuff (I'll take the icing & marzipan off)
Yes, cake crumbs are highly recommended.

Also, if you are having trouble with your water freezing over apparently putting sticks or ping pong balls into it helps it to not freeze over!

My favourites are robins. Hardy little things and so cute.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Yes, cake crumbs are highly recommended.

Also, if you are having trouble with your water freezing over apparently putting sticks or ping pong balls into it helps it to not freeze over!

My favourites are robins. Hardy little things and so cute.
Thanks, I'll go put the cake in the feeder.
This bird has just been back, it's bugging me now what it is! I went to get the camera but it's gone again. It's got dark circles round it's eyes. I'm useless at bird types, hub said it's probably a thrush.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't usually feed the wild birds as I have cats but I have got some seed and fat balls and the other days i put left over xmas pud out.
The cats aren't going out much at the moment!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Could be a lady Blackbird they are much browner and often their breasts are a bit speckled.
Do you live in the country or town? It would be unusual to have a Thrush in the town.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Could be a lady Blackbird they are much browner and often their breasts are a bit speckled.
Do you live in the country or town? It would be unusual to have a Thrush in the town.
Town but with farm & South Downs right opposite & the sea the other way, so we also get pigeons & seagulls. (don't know if that makes a difference) yes maybe a female blackbird - told you I was rubbish!
We also get squillions of starlings in the afternoon on their way back to the Pier. They stop here for a rest around 4pm (but not recently) the noise is like something from a scarey film, but they are amazing to watch!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:25 AM
I had a load of starlings this morning after the buttered rolls. They were going mental on the bin where the rolls were sitting.

Just put out more bread covered with the fat from the grill pan, and some raisins and nuts. There's a bowl of water too.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh and it's really funny watching my cat sitting on the back of the chair chirruping at the birds I think it's more irritation cause she can't get to them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Yes, either that or a mistle thrush Some of my blackbirds are brown with speckles, but I do have just one mistlethrush who sits in the same tree every afternoon in the summer and sings it's little socks off! Hmmm, maybe it's a songthrush then! Lol!

Mine were all sitting there this morning coz I had a lie in till 7.30, and there I was out there in the freezing cold in my dressing gown and slippers dishing out their breakfast! They've eaten all that now, so I'll be doing it all again in a moment coz they don't have much time left, they're all gone by 4pm in this weather. Still got my little wagtail bopping about out there, soooo funny to watch him!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, either that or a mistle thrush Some of my blackbirds are brown with speckles, but I do have just one mistlethrush who sits in the same tree every afternoon in the summer and sings it's little socks off! Hmmm, maybe it's a songthrush then! Lol!

Mine were all sitting there this morning coz I had a lie in till 7.30, and there I was out there in the freezing cold in my dressing gown and slippers dishing out their breakfast! They've eaten all that now, so I'll be doing it all again in a moment coz they don't have much time left, they're all gone by 4pm in this weather. Still got my little wagtail bopping about out there, soooo funny to watch him!

I love wag tails too - but I call them waggy tails I first saw them when we lived in Dorset & was surprised to see them over her. I've never seen them in January though until now!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >