View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I've started to feed the birds, got a holder with fat balls in, and then a feeder with seeds in!

I'm going to buy a proper bird table when I eventually get near a shop!

I'm going to have a root through the cupboards and see what else I can find to feed them!!

xx
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Jack sometimes leaves some bits in his bowl after his breakfast so I've been throwing the bits he doesn't like out, seeds,and those little brown biscuits that look remarkably like rabbit poo

Oh and buttered bread, raisins, unbuttered bread and I try to leave water out, but it freezes fairly fast.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 03:32 PM
We have a seed feeder, fat ball thing and always leave the apples on the tree in the autumn as they feed the birds throughout the winter. Interestingly (for us anyway lol) this year, as well as the usual Magpies/Blackbirds/ variety of Tits/Robins/Wrens/Starlings/Woodpigeons/Collared Doves...the list is endless...we have a new kid on the block. We have a pair of Fieldfares who are now hugely terrotorial about the apple tree. Apparently it is the apples that attract them in! Lovely to see and they have been in the tree throughout most of the daylight hours (except when the mutts are in the garden...or my son!!!! Wise birds as well obviously).

Interestingly in the sunshine earlier today the Blue Tits were in and out of their usual nest box! I hope they haven't started anything cos we need to fix the roof of it and it's been one of 'those' jobs all winter!

I keep breaking the ice on the pond...but as soon as you do it it is frozen again Can they get moisture from the snow? I think ours are getting water from the apples as well...when the Fieldfares let them!!!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Sorry not really into birds H but OH gets about 3Kgs. of bird seed every week at the pet shop and she's out there every morning topping up the feeders (some of which I made) She said to me this morning that she recognises some of them (We have a few Robins too) I must admit I like watching the big birds swooping down to catch mice, I don't know the names but they big!!!
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I always feed the birds and have nestboxes around my house under the eaves with breeding Sparrows and Blue tits so feeding often continues through the Summer although not in the amounts I have to in the Winter. I am keeping as much scraps as I can along with various seed to keep the birds going because we have had a month of snow here which is now 2-3 feet deep and showing no signs of thawing. Leftover Christmas Cake, pasta, biscuits, wholemeal bread, fruit, raisins, sultanas etc are always welcome too.

We had a lovely visitor to the garden a few days ago, one which I haven't seen (or noticed) for a few years, a pair of Bullfinch, they were stunning and to say I was chuffed was an understatement We had Redwings here too. This weather is drawing them in!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Excelent post/reminder, well done.

We're doing our bit, despite the fact that Woody is obsessed with them. I don't want to stop as they see us as a reliable source of food and bearing in mind I'm living in a new build in the middle of their fields I see it as my duty to feed them!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
we have tried feeding them but as soon as we put food out the snow covers it!!

we managed to put out a dish today though with
Soreen
Banana
Mixed Fruit and Nut
Pistachios
Chopped up Coconut quality street
Shortbread

at least they have their high energy needs catered for!

We have no bird food in but raided the cupboards to see what we could put out....

The Shortbread is now gone as is the banana.....
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
My Granmother puts a lot of stuff out - but there was sadly a Wren that had frozen ouside my gate this morning
Oh that is soooo sad

Hubby feeds the birds every morning without fail. He looks after them better than he does me and we have nesting boxes around the garden too.

They get mixed seeds in hangers, peanuts in hangers, fat balls, suet, oats, bread, currants, grated cheese.
Don't forget to keep fresh water unfrozen for them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Feeding the birds here too. Also making sure they have water.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Excelent post/reminder, well done.

We're doing our bit, despite the fact that Woody is obsessed with them. I don't want to stop as they see us as a reliable source of food and bearing in mind I'm living in a new build in the middle of their fields I see it as my duty to feed them!
Very good point Pidgy, they were there first Don't worry about Woody, if he's anything like our two he'll never catch them 'tho there is a semi wild cat living in one of the weekenders cottages who is much better at catching them
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >