Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I doubt they'd examine him now without the muzzle. When they approach him and he's not in the consulting room, that's fine. They can do what they like with him. But they won't formally examine him in the waiting room, in a different room or on the car park etc as there are other dogs and animals in those areas. I can understand from a safety point of view. It only takes one dog to bark and although that in itself wouldn't bother Zane, there could be problems with other animals because of it and if an exam is going on at the same time, then things can go very wrong.

Even for abasic exam, Zane is completely intolerant at the moment. The vet couldn't hear his heart yesterday through the growling. SO he backed off. And of course then Zane stopped growling. I did wonder if it was worth asking the vet if I could approach Zane with the stethoscope - not to do the exam as I'm not qualified obviosuly but if Zane sees and feels me doing it, then he'll know there's nothing to fear or worry about if the vet does it.

There has to be a way around it. After all, until that one incident, he loved going to the vets. I'm not saying he has to enjoy every visit, but they're so friendly wiht the dogs and love to give them treats etc that there are very few dogs who have a problem going there. I've never seen anyone drag their dog through the doors but plenty of owners have been pulled through on the end of a lead.

My OH doesn't like dogs an wouldn't take them (with or without me) to the vet. Plus, he's more likely to get stressed and afraid shoudl anything happen than I am. I thought about asking one of my firends who is never phased by anything, regardless of what can or can't happen. But then won't Zane see it as me leaving him again? Which is what happened when the first muzzle was pulled tight.

I'm goign to have a think over the weekend and see if I can come up with some ways of Zane being examined possible without him knowing it, to a certain extent. After all, one of the vets gives him belly rub. She could listen to his heart/lungs whilst doing that and he'd be none the wiser.

Laura xx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Yes, I'm also wondering about the muzzle as it may be a strong assocation for him;
however it's difficult because you may feel/they may feel it's necessary, and you don't want to get him a bite history.

I wonder if this is a case for areputable behaviourist?

Reasons are:

They are professional and can work with you and the vet hopefully, the vets will also respect their professional advice

They may be able to confirm his character/assess him

They may be able to give a modification programme in short steps which the vets can also read - this may inclued things like vets do not stand behind him until step 6 has been satisfactorily completed, that sort of thing! It will involve desensisting and counterconditioning, but hopefully in a very structured way to ensure nobody goes too fast.

Just an idea what do you think?

I'd suggest trying www.apbc.org.uk

Wys
x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I think Wys has a very good point, a behaviourist is probably the best bet. I am sure with the link she has provided you could find a good one.

Afterall as Wys says you don;t want to get him a bite history, he is young and just needs to learn this is not appropiate behaviour.

Remind me to give you some pointers re Boyfriends...... your ex doesn;t like dogs and neither does your current dear dear you know how to pick um hun
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi,

I know but if I had to make a choice then the OH would have to go. After all, I have more fun with the dogs (is that really sad?!).

I'll definitely consider a behaviourist though. I'll try more or less anything if it helps Zane.

Laura xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2009, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I know but if I had to make a choice then the OH would have to go. After all, I have more fun with the dogs (is that really sad?!).

I'll definitely consider a behaviourist though. I'll try more or less anything if it helps Zane.

Laura xx
Poor Zane No thats not sad I enjoy and have fun with my dogs, the only sad bit is your OH doesn't get to enjoy a big chunck of your life, he's missing out on all them doggy walks etc.,

Hope a behaviourist can help I sure they will xxxx best wishes
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2