Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Your Best Tip ?

I am asked almost on a daily basis by people I meet when out with the dogs, how I train them to behave so well. Many expect a 10 second explanation of all things appertaining to getting your dog to do what you ask.

The truth is I do little formal training, we just live together and they learn, very quickly I might add.

The one tip I invariably pass on is the importance of using a "release" word. This is often met with a look of confusion, because so many people with dogs have never considered it.

After I ask my dogs to do something, be it sit, down, heel or whatever they are expected to do just that until I say "OK" or "Off You Go" . It is common sense to do this and really helps the dog to understand what is required. Even my "naughty boy" Yorkie who I have only had for 8 weeks is now spot on in waiting to be "released"

That is my " one special tip " ........ what's yours.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Hum, I always think that one of the best things I tell people is not to be afraid to use treats as a reward!

I think a lot of people think they have failed if they need a titbit or a special toy for a dog to do something. I don't see it as a failure!

If you need a little bit of biscuit to get your dog to do something, then use it. Don't prance along saying how your dog won't do anything for you - find it's weakness and use it to your advantage!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Make training fun...particularly learning through play.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Stay calm....
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I think you should try to look at things from a dogs point of view!!
Like if your boring and using a grumpy tone of voice who can blame them for going off for a wander!!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Dogs don't worry about the past, they don't remember what happened yesterday, nor consider the consequences of what they are about to do. Live in the moment and remember tomorrow is another day. Shake it off, take a deep breath and meet your problem again in the morning!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Be fair and consistant.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 01:02 PM
My only tip is to remember to praise for just doing nothing really, especially when they're lying down being quiet, playing with a toy on their own so I can get on with my housework, even walking nicely on a lead, that kind of thing, I always, always praise them continuously, their tails wag, they know they're being good, and that way, you won't have to reprimand them for doing bad coz they just won't! We're all to keen to tell them off for doing something wrong but not so keen on telling them how good they are just by being "normal" I think!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't expect too much too soon.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a well behaved dog.

Patience and keeping calm is definitely the key.

Monty prides himself on being well behaved when others are watching then being a right naughty so and so when it's just us at home!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >