Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 10:40 PM

Feel like such a failure on here sometimes

Honestly, some days I don't want to come on here as I end up feeling rather down I keep reading all these threads about peoples dogs having acheived this, that or the other. Having perfect recall, knowing loads of tricks etc. And then I look at Ranger!!! I'm lucky if he comes back half the time (although he is 90% with hubby). He usually completely ignores me, we can't get him to stop barking at every little noise outside the front door, if I try to get him to do a trick, he sits there with his tongue (or other parts ) hanging out, looking all dopey I adore him to bits, but really and truly I think I got the dumbest German Shepherd ever to walk the earth

Anyone else feel like their dog isn't quite up to scratch?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I think you are reading different threads than i..lol
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Honestly, some days I don't want to come on here as I end up feeling rather down I keep reading all these threads about peoples dogs having acheived this, that or the other. Having perfect recall, knowing loads of tricks etc. And then I look at Ranger!!! I'm lucky if he comes back half the time (although he is 90% with hubby). He usually completely ignores me, we can't get him to stop barking at every little noise outside the front door, if I try to get him to do a trick, he sits there with his tongue (or other parts ) hanging out, looking all dopey I adore him to bits, but really and truly I think I got the dumbest German Shepherd ever to walk the earth

LOL! sorry but this made me laugh. There is a woman I see on walks sometimes with a blue German Shepherd and she tells me hers is the dumbest GSD to ever walk the earth too he mostly ignores her, is obsessed with other dogs and has a limited interest in training or working for his owner -- the exact opposite of most GSD's!

Anyway, I assure you most average dogs are far from perfect.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Awww trust me when I have Mia at the end of the lead wanting to eat the dog that looked at her sideways

Or when I am seeing stars when I bent over to get my shoes and two hyper 'are we going for a walk mum' dogs both bounced into my nose and dropped me onto my bum then happily bounced all over me

Or when I look at all the doghair over my house!!

I deff dont feel so perfect - I post acheivments to make me feel better for all the not so great things
But
I love em both to bits and wouldnt change them for the world
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Aww don't feel down. Rocky's recall was a bit hit n miss until Shadowboxer taught me how to do it properly - and it's really quite simple.

Always set him up to pass (so only call him when you know he has a good chance of coming - ie with treats) and then every now and again make the reward a special surprise, something really really special - that did the trick and his recall was excellent after that
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 12:09 AM
I feel like this a lot if it makes you feel any better
If you pay too much attention to what people post online about how perfect their dogs are, how you should be doing this and mustn't do that etc etc it can drive you mad. I filter a lot out nowadays and keep on muddling through.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post

Jake is a moose too. I love the bones of him though.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 12:33 AM
awww...
Many of us with norty, strong character dogs are way too embarassed to post all the bad stuff....Which is about normal.

I think Dogsey should have an anonymous section, where peeps can ask stuff incognito if they need to..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 05:36 AM
Also remember many of us prefer to focus on the positive (about everything) and not dwell on the negative.

The dog I just lost was just about perfect, apart from two issues.

She loved to roll in fox poo and she was food obsessed.

But those two things did not outweigh her other attributes (mostly)

And remember, one person's idea of "perfection" is another person's idea of ghastly.........
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Oh don't worry Dillon is doing my head in most days.

He is 10 months and a real teenager now and so he is not let off unless I know he is going to come back and no distractions around (long line and harness) easier to grab. He was perfect till a few weeks ago. He bounces all over dogs if allowed too bit of a nightmare hanging onto and controling a 10 month old weighing 50kgs so some days we meet and greet some days we don't.

I get the attention barking trying desperately to stop it as of yet no joy and to stop his over enthusiastic jumping up when anyone comes round or we come home.

When we are out off the field he is the perfect angel in towns or somewhere strange. I keep telling myself he will grow up. Sme days I do wonder at why at my age I decided to go down the puppy route with a large boisterous dog. Ollie was easy but was so unwell so I have to remember Dillon is a healthy dog and thats a good thing.

Remember they grow up and on day you think where did all that naughty behaviour go. I doubt I will achieve much with Dillon except hopefully a calm older dog that will be enough for me.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »