View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-12-2005, 10:47 PM
My friend had a Vespa ET2 when she was 16, it was only 50 cc, but the man she had bought it off had made it unrestricted, so she could get about 60mph on it but she had to keep the unrestricted bit hush hush as it is illegal for 16 year old to have more than a 50cc

I would recomend the new vespas, very stylish and nice, hers was very reliable, It cost £400 and was an X reg.

It was cream and really nice!!

Hope that helps
Frances
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Dunno what all this is with restricted, unrestricted, bolts, up a speed down a speed!!!!!!!!

Surely you can only be insured to drive what you are qualified to drive??????

If you drive anything other than that doesn`t that mean your driving insurance is invalid?? and if its invalid what happens if you have an accident???????????
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
As a biker for *mumblepooblefeeble* years, I would suggest going for your CBT and then get something bigger than a moped.
Mopeds are *ok*, but to qualify they have to be resricted to a stupidly small horsepower, and a maximum flat speed of 30 mph. Which is not a good idea when you need a bit of extra speed for getting yourself past stuff, or out of trouble.
Personally I would, as I have said, get your CBT and then try to get a Peugeot Speedflite 100. This is unrestricted, had 100cc, and a fully automatic transmission, for ease of riding. It is also quite small, which makes parking easier, and has a number of anti-theft features, such as an immobiliser and a built-in security cable so you can fasten it to trees, posts or Rottweillers to avoid it getting nicked.

However.

I would also consider putting about £400 aside for Good, Armoured, Waterproof riding gear, and most of all Good Gloves and a Good helmet. Full face, not open. Please *please* do not even think about going down the *Teeshirt, shorts, sandals and open face helmet* route. As an ex paramedic I can tell you that gravel rash is the very least of your worries.

Also, please consider a defensive driving course, or contact me so I can give you pointers. Observation is a lifesaver, and can make biking so much fun.

Good luck. But please *be careful*
Boxer_Fan_Gsm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-01-2006, 09:26 AM
I agree with Gaz, the Peugeot Speedflite is a good wee scooter, when I was younger a few of my friends had these and never had any probs with them (other than one being nicked). The most important thing is to get good protective gear, falling off and rolling along the ground is bad enough but hitting a curb at 30mph+ is some thing else.
Sorry if you already no this but just to clear it up, A moped is a 50cc, can be ridden by a 16 year old with a CBT and is only aloud to have a design speed of 30mph (this is why they are mechanically restricted as they would go faster) once you turn 17 and over you can ride a 125cc with the same CBT, this can be a scooter or motor bike, the main difference being with a scoter you normally just have to twist the throttle grip to go and the breaks are the same as a push bike, a motor bike will have gears and a clutch as well.
(the term moped only really refers to 50cc)
When I was 16 I had a moped, it was a MBK 50 at the time sold by Halfords, It is a bit of an unknown name but is exactly the same as the Yamaha Neo 50 but branded differently and quite a bit cheaper. I got it second hand from an older bloke who was scared to use it coz he didn't have a lot of strength in his hands when it got cold. He gave me all the kit he had got for it as well (a good jacket, trousers, gloves and 2 open face helmets) the moped had only done 400miles and was in A1 condition. I gave him £750 for it and sold it a year later with out all the gear and having covered 3000miles for £700!
Cheapest motoring I have ever done £15 for a years road tax, £300 insurance and about £4 for fuel and 2 stroke oil a week!
However being restricted to 30mph (on a moped) is a bit of a pain so go for some thing like a 100cc or 125cc. You can get the MBK as a 125 as well as the 50.
One last point, ride as though every one is out to kill you and no one can see you that way you can be ready for some of the crazy things people do and remember the CBT is as it reads BASIC training, it might be a good idea to get some more if you are a bit uneasy.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2