Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:23 PM

Pups born!

hi everyone

i mated my staffordshire bull terrier with another staffie and they produced 12 pups! It was first time breed for both dogs, and the vets said she was having 3 or 4 pups which obviously was totally wrong!Due to this fact we kept thinkin each pup had to be the last one to be delivered,after 5 pups had been delivered the mm and pups were taken to the vets as we didnt hink she was feeding them,the vet didnt examine the mum very well because they werent aware she was still in labour and went on to have 7 more!Because we didnt know how many to expect unfortunatly the last one was stillborn as it took to long to be delivered and over night one puppy was suffocated so we are left with 10 gorgeous little puppies.However the smallest one is not getting any bigger and is very weak,he doesnt seem to make any effort to feed unless we latch him on and even then he doesnt stay on unless held there,so another trip to the vets showed he has an infection and is not expected to live its so heartbreaking.We have been given penicillin for him so we just have to wait and see now.Please keep your fingers crossed for him!
charlie x
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:30 PM
great news! dont forget plenty of pictures!!

have you thought about hand rearing if he isnt getting the milk he needs?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Remember they are tiny pups so they don't need an awful lot to fill them up, although with 10 pups she is going to need a huge amount of food and water so make sure she has 24 hour access to both.
Keep latching the little one on and let him feed. Make sure he's on the back teats as they are the most productive.
Becky
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2007, 04:33 PM
yes i think thats what is going to be done but the vets said he has infection anyway which is causing his problems.I own the male so i dont live with the mum and pups but i think thats what the owner is planning on doing, just hope he is ok,he's so little and we already lost two i really don't want to loose another

charlie x
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2007, 05:15 PM
I have just spoke to the owner and she said the infection came from his belly button poor little thing, he is too weak to feed so they have given him water and glucose via a syringe.Has anyone else had this problem?If so how did it work out?

charlie x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Get some puppy milk from the vets, I use Welpi and always have it on hand when I have a litter together with new born baby bottles. Glucose and water wont keep him going for long he needs a good easy drink.
Becky
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi
The puppy died a few hours after my post he was just too poorly.All the other pups are doing well though,getting big now!

charlie x
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2007, 07:53 PM
im so sorry to hear of the loss of the little pups , glad that the others are doing well .

sleep tight little ones on angels wings snuggle in xxxdk
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of the little ones. I do hope the others will continue to do well. What a shock to have all those pups especially when only expecting 3 or 4. Run free at the bridge wee ones.