View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 01:16 PM
John Rogerson, Jean Donaldson, Karen Pryor and Emma Parsons ("Click to Calm")

These 4, at this point in time have contributed most in my quest for positive training and knowledge of dogs. I am forever grateful for their books.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 02:31 PM
It's so hard to say, because there are so many who have infleunced both personally and via books and dvds etc. I think the ones who have particularly helped me are:

John Fisher - because it was through reading his articles in Dogs Today, (just over a decade ago, now) then his books, that made me realise dog training was both an art and a science, and that it was very important to learn about behaviour and how dogs learn. Also, he had the wonderful gift of making you laugh as well as feel sorry for some of the dogs he wrote about!
I feel also that he put into more concrete form some of my beliefs about training with kindness etc.

Peter Neville - spoke to him once via the phone after a seminar that made me doubt my abilities. He spent about half an hour talking to me and assuring me that I was not going mad. Will always be grateful as he encouraged me to continue, I did wonder if I might have given up at that point. I have a huge respect for him. Also was very influenced by his behaviour cases in DT.

Paddy Driscoll
- had her as a tutor at college and she was very good at making the lightbulbs go on in the practical training

http://www.teamworktraining.co.uk/

I'd also add Joyce Stranger same as Brierley - she influenced me a lot and gave me some training advice.

Anne Bussey - helped me see the power of the clicker in a retrieve to hand exercise with my own dog. Small moments, big leaps in learning for me, "special" moments - love it

Plenty of others too numerous to mention - certainly Jean Donaldson, Ian Dunbar, David Ryan, Sally Sanford, and others!

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
we did an agility workshop where we used no commands just bodylanguage...now that was interesting
Yes - a trainer I have sometimes uses signals a lot. And an ex-army trainer did. I must say I have picked up the habit and use hand signals more than voice with Daisy.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 04:55 PM
John Fisher, Ian Dunbar, Karen Prior, Jo Hill.

Attila and Richard Curtis for specific HTM---Attila more generalised and made me think a lot.

For agility, Kath Napper, Eleanor and Ian Balchin, Steve Seale.

Sue Sternberg for making me think.

All the dogs I have worked with in one way or another. The results might have been spectacularly bad or wonderfully good but I learnt from all of them.

rune
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2