Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 11:20 AM

He's just eaten 1/2 of the biro casing!

One of my Tibetans has eaten half of the see-through plastic casing of a biro. Fortunately we managed to prise the actual ink/nib out of his mouth but there is definitely half of the plastic casing missing. What is left is very sharp and I just hope he chewed up well what he ate.

Any ideas how long it will take to know if it has successfully passed through him or whether there is a problem? He is acting completely normally (mad as a box of frogs)! He's 9 months old and he attempts to eat everything.

Any advice as to what symptoms I need to look out for? I assume sickness, lethargy etc if something has got stuck.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 11:25 AM
It all depends, most things appear to go through ok, some can sit and fester for months.

If the dog has got the squits or cannot go or is sick or retching without being sick, go to vet.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Why dont you ring your vets and ask them? They will have far better advice for you and will be able to put your mind at rest.
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
He's 9 months old and he attempts to eat everything.
Yes they do eat anything. Mine ate plastic at that age. I would suggest a visit to the vet.

When my dog ate the plastic the vet checked him over and gave me something to help him pass the plastic naturally. He was fine and fortunately never ate any plastic again.

Good luck.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Hi, Thanks for the quick replies. I have just phoned and spoken to one of the vet nurses who has said just to keep an eye on him and if he shows any ill-effects to take him in. It's typical that it's a Friday. She said it will probably take him up to 3 days to pass what he has eaten and to check, although if he did crunch it up it may not be noticed

Tibter, how old is your TT. I've been told they calm down considerably once they reach the age of 2. Only another 15 months to go One of my pups picks everything up while out but will drop it on command. The other one eats whatever he can get hold of - driving me mad. I spend all day checking that things are out of his reach!!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 12:25 PM
They are a worry arent they?
Mia still has the odd moment of non food eating, my fault for leaving stuff about just when I think she is finally over that stage
I just keep an eye on her for a few days to make sure she goes normally - and try and tidy up better
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Hi,
I've been told they calm down considerably once they reach the age of 2. !!
Everyone told me that about my dog... a Catahoula... I think it is is a conspiracy by older dog owners as it certainly didn't happen for me that way! She is 3 now and still drives me bonkers!!

I am sure the biro will pass through, dogs are amazingly resiliant creatures!