View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 08:58 AM
How much time do you spend at home standing him. Make it enjoyable, five minutes here and five minutes there. Get him to stand for a treat, so that to him, standing to command is fun and rewarding. Consistency is the key here. Then build up slowly, stroke his head in stand, teeth only in stand, then head and shoulders. You really need a weekly ringcraft but the time you spend at home with him will be the most rewarding and where you will progress.
Stick with it and it eventually clicks
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
We have spent a lot of time doing it at home, and he;s absolutely fine, but he's like a completely different dog at ringcraft. I'm still a bit unsure, thankyou for the link but they are actually quite far from us, at least an hour if not more so I'm not sure how much they could help.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I had one dog who was not good at ringcraft classes so I stopped going for a while then found a club that did ring craft & obedience & he took to it like a duck to water & soon was able to take him to shows though for several months a friend took him in & I took in her dog who was bombproof as she said my worries about how he would behave were going down the lead.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
We have spent a lot of time doing it at home, and he;s absolutely fine, but he's like a completely different dog at ringcraft. I'm still a bit unsure, thankyou for the link but they are actually quite far from us, at least an hour if not more so I'm not sure how much they could help.

If you feel confident in what you are doing then I would skip ringcraft then for a while if that makes him uneasy - is it in a big noisy hall?

I think you just need more practice on your own and in other areas to get his confidence up that he doesn't need to be worried.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2007, 05:43 PM
No, it's the same hall as we train in, not the same club though. I think we'll have a little break from it and I'll look around for another class and give it one last push.

Thanks everyone
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Get him along to some shows, not entered but just to spend some time with the hustle and bustle of it all.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
Get him along to some shows, not entered but just to spend some time with the hustle and bustle of it all.
That is a good idea, this is what I am going to do with Maddy too when she is ready. It will get him used to all that goes on without you worrying how he will do in the ring, because he will pick up on your worry aswell. :smt002
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2