Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2007, 08:00 PM

Unsure what to do about ringcraft

We've been taking Alfie to ringcraft for quite a few months now, and I'm just about ready to give up. He loves people, absolutely adores them, but for some reason he freaks out when we do the whole stand thing, and gets really nervous. He's been making small improvements, but I just don't think he'll ever get over it enough so he could actually be shown.

The thing is, the ringcraft don't want me to give up and have said he's a good dog who could do really well. If he got into it, I think he would most likely enjoy it since he loves a fuss and being the centre of attention. But on the other hand if he's not enjoying the ringcraft much then why would it be any different? I'm not going to make him do something he doesn't enjoy. I would give up but we do get a lot of comments on him and random people stop me in the street and ask about his breeding But then again, this isn't a good reason for him to do something he might into enjoy.

I don't know
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 08:01 PM
How old is he and how long have you been going to ringcraft?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Woops thought I included that
He's now 11 months old and we've been going to ringcraft since he was about 5-6 months old, but it's only once a month.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Once a month? Awww, well there is your problem. You started him quite late, which isn't the problem, but on top of that if he has only been once a month that is only 5 or 6 sessions???

I suggest you find one that is at least weekly and you will find he comes on a lot better. I'd try that before giving up on him, especially if he is a good example and will enjoy it when he gets the hang of it.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Can I ask is it just at ringcraft he won't stand and gets nervous or other places too?
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2007, 09:14 PM
We took him to a companion show and he was even worse there, but at home and our other training we've had people go over him and he was fine.

I wouldn't know where to find one I'm totally new to all this, and don't really know people who could advise me of where to find one. Plus, he's nearly one so wouldn't most ringcrafts think it would be a bit late? He gets really nervous and wees, and I just feel sorry for him.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
My first borzoi was 2 and a half year old when we got him and went to his first ringcraft class so I don't think a year is too old, but as others have said weekly rather than monthly. Obviously the younger the better, but it can work for an older dog too, a lot depends on the dog. Some dogs are happy to be in the showring and others are not. I would never show a dog who was not happy being in the ring. We were fortunate in that this old boy took to it likre a duck to water. So its not all down to the age they start at.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
If you contact these people they may be able to put you in touch with a weekly ringcraft class, http://www.merseysideboxer.com/training.htm
It's a Boxer clubs ringcraft not sure if they accept other breeds but if they don't as they are in your area they must know of suitable clubs for you
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
We took him to a companion show and he was even worse there, but at home and our other training we've had people go over him and he was fine.

I wouldn't know where to find one I'm totally new to all this, and don't really know people who could advise me of where to find one. Plus, he's nearly one so wouldn't most ringcrafts think it would be a bit late? He gets really nervous and wees, and I just feel sorry for him.
Oh that is really nervous. What is he like with strangers coming up to him when he is out? Have you had him since he was a baby?
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
My first borzoi was 2 and a half year old when we got him and went to his first ringcraft class so I don't think a year is too old, but as others have said weekly rather than monthly. Obviously the younger the better, but it can work for an older dog too, a lot depends on the dog. Some dogs are happy to be in the showring and others are not. I would never show a dog who was not happy being in the ring. We were fortunate in that this old boy took to it likre a duck to water. So its not all down to the age they start at.
I too didn't start ringcraft with my first Gordon until he was over a year - think he was about 15months old. So I wouldn't worry about the late start as lovezois has said.

I actually found it easier to train Max at that stage than I have with starting from puppies - so much more wriggly.

It needs to be fun for them though and they need to be relaxed and not be worried. If you can find one to go to weekly hopefully your boy will soon realise nothing to worry about.

If I were you I would first get him used to be gone over at home and at training (where he was happy), then move to other places to practice until he is relaxed there too - then hopefully you can progress this more and more places. Always start and end with a great game so it isn't just a battle for him.

Like lovezois if none of mine didn't like showing I wouldn't put them through it - Hamish is an example of this he just doesn't like being gone over or standing so I decided not to push it with him.

Good luck in finding a new ringcraft club where you can get more practice in.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >