Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mezzacca41
New Member!
Female 

17-12-2009, 01:07 AM

biting 9 month old puppy

when he has something he knows he shouldn't.
Well, today was actually the first time he bit someone. I can usually get whatever he has by trading it for a treat. But if someone goes to grab it he growls. As soon as i say the word treat he drops it and then we pick it up and he gets his treat. But today he had my 3 yr. old doll brush and my 7 yr old son went to get it and he bit him, not hard enough to break the skin. He just finished basic obedience so I wasn't sure who i should ask or what to do.

He is a sweet dog in every other way. He loves to be pet, loves people and other dogs. Spends a lot of time with my friends dog. When ever someone comes to pet him his tail starts wagging and then he rolls over to get his belly rubbed. He sleeps on his back when me when I pick him up and he is tired. He gives a million kisses a day. But when he gets food that one of my kids drops or when he gets a sock he growls if you try to get it from him. I usually pick him up by his scruff and put him in his cage for awhile. After I exchange the object for a treat.

What should I do? I love this dog and so do my kids!!!
Thanks!!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 01:47 AM
hi,
im sure someone will be along to help you further but I would practice a leave it command not always for treats, sometimes verbal commands, cuddles etc.

2nd his cage should be a 'safe' place locking him in as punishment :S dunno, i lock mine out of the room for a little while or make them sit and stay on the mat at the from door.

ATD x
Corinthian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-12-2009, 04:39 AM
More importantly for NOW, I would explain to the children that they are not allowed to take anything from the dog's mouth. You can buy Donaldson's Mine!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:03 AM
He is doing what comes naturally to him and picking things up. That is an instinct, if you get cross at him for picking up what you consider to be the 'wrong' things he will growl and eventually because you are not listening to him he might bite. It happens with spaniels a lot and it is NOT their fault.

You need to stop stressing at all when he gets anything---regardless of how precious you feel it is----swop it for a special toy of his he hasn't had for a while or for a really great titbit. Don't chase him call him calmly and do the swop telling him he is a really good chap.

Food on the Floor ios fair game, shut him out or pop him in his crate with a stufed kong while there is a chance it will drop.

The crate should be a safe place not a punishment. You shouldn't be punishing him for doing what he is bred to do.

Ater christmas I'd get him toclasses and teach him to retrieve and hunt for things===that will give his instincts an outlet.

Good luck

rune