View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Sounds like they may be short of air strangely enough...increase the air flow to the tank and make sure that the filter is clean. We kept tropical fish for years before moving here
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-04-2005, 05:17 PM
If you think it's oxygen starvation try reducing the temperature slightly. Cooler water retains more oxygen then warmer water.

Airpumps don't in themselves add oxygen to the water (you only really need air pumps when using them for filtration). They simply create movement in the water which increases the surface area so your air supplies sound more than adequate.

Since it's only the guppies I wonder if it's perhaps a breeding thing... I have never bred guppies though so I don't know for certain. The do have an upturned mouth so it would be reasonably normal for them to be at the top. So long as they are colourful and not obviously gasping I wouldn't worry just too much.

Graeme
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 05:24 PM
No, I don't use perfume in the living room..........and I only use a damp cloth to clean the outside of the tank.........nothing different at all, the tank has been fine since December, I'm really stumped as to what has caused this.

They're not near the airstones, all the other fish are fine too plus it's the first time I've seen them doing this in the nearly 5 months they've been in there!

They've got me baffled for sure!
ziggar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-04-2005, 06:31 PM
We add Stress Zyme Dual Action weekly, and Nutrafin Water Conditioner when we do a part water change

i wouldnt bother adding loads of different additives when you change your water
just add enough stress zyme to do the job
or even better, let your water stand over night before adding to the tank

check that the filter is clean and running properly
any foams or sponges that need cleaning should be cleaned in water taken from the tank and not cleaned under the tap

as Graeme said, airpumps dont actually add any oxegyn to the water themselves
its the surface tension of the water being broken by the rising bubbles that actually infuses the oxygen
point the outlet of the fluval at the top of the tank so as to disturb the surface of the waterthat will get more oxygen into it than the airpump will

it could actually be that your filter is border line big enough for the job
personally i would get a bigger filter as you do have a quite a few fish in a smallish tank

Z
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Sounds like they're breeding CC. I only ever had guppies once, and they did this, I was told that they were breeding
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Ok, I've now put another Fluval 2 in there, so the flow is skimming the surface of the water, the filters are always cleaned in tank water.....that bit I know.....

We'll see how it goes, but I won't be surprised if we lose a few
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 10:32 PM
I have been sat here watching these fish for ages now, and I think I know what's wrong with them...........

They are scared stiff of the Rosy Barb, although they've been in the tank together for 5 months, the barb is pregnant, I just witnessed her kill one of the guppy The barb chased the male guppy around the tank, grabbed it by the lovely tail and shook the poor thing until it died........I tried to catch it with the net, but the poor Guppy didn't make it! The horrible Rosy Barb is now in another tank..........my OH said it is destined for the toilet tomorrow!! I won't let him do it, but I don't like that fish any more!!

Since I removed the Barb, the guppies are now swimming around in the tank!

Hopefully mystery solved, but at a cost..........my lovely spotted tail guppy boy!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2005, 10:55 PM
glad you have sorted the problem CC
but aww that poor guppy
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2005, 01:41 PM
i agree with Paul...................
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Can you see dark bits at the back of them? Near there tummys. At first glance at your picc it looks like they are getting ready to "drop" babies. Guppys are live beares, the are also top swimmers. You get bottom, middle and top.
When you wash your filter do you wash it in water you have taken from your tank? You should was the sponge in this as it keeps the micro, bacteria alive. (which is what you want)
When you do a water change as someone else said, stand the water in a bucket over night with a heater in it and airiate it. This gets rid of most of the chemicals that the water board put in.
Check out the fish shop you buy from, ask if they sell R O water. Most good ones do. \If they do then it saves you having to stand your water over night. The R O unite takes out all the nasty chemicald.
If you need any further help pm me or ask here.
I have kept all kinds of fish for amny years, I dont profess to know it all but I do know some stuff and if I can help I will do.
At the moment I keep Marine fish and corals. In the past cold water fancy fish, tropical comunity tank and Discus. I was lucky enough to breed them.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >