Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:35 PM

This weekends 'What would you do if?'

Hi,

Here is the second 'what would you do if'. Every weekend I post a hypothetical situation and you have to answer honestly what you would do.

What would you do if.....

You had a best friend that you had been best mates with since you first started school. You are now both in your late thirties. Your friend is successful and professional and single. Apart from her family and you, the other love in her life is her dog. Tragically your friend has a terminal illness and she appoints you as executer to her will. Just before she dies, she makes it completely plain to you that the dog must be destroyed upon her death. No ifs or buts. It must be done. You explain that you will take the dog on as he already knows you so well but she won't hear of it and asks you to do this one last thing for her.

After her death, her parents approach you just after the funeral and say that although it is in the will that the dog must be destroyed, they would much prefer you to have the dog and no-one would else would mind either. Do you do the one last request for your friend or do you save the dog?

The dog is nine years old.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd never put a healthy dog down so the answer would be no I wouldn't carry out that wish but if she were a friend of mine then she wouldn't insist on that anyway!
Becky
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:53 PM
No question. Save the dog.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:55 PM
To be honest I really can't see that I would have the type of friend who insisted their dog was pts on their death even though they knew there was a good home for it to go to.

So, no I would not honour the last request of this friend - the dog would live.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 03:57 PM
have to say that i agree with Becky.. i'd take the dog, even if i'd agreed not to.. if the dog had a home to go to, i think it's a bit selfish to destroy it..
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Agree with everyone else, i would save the dog, most definitely
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Oh dear, if I had not found the courage to say no to my friend when asked, there and then no if and buts, I would feel obliged to carry out her wishes. It would tear me apart but an agreement made to a dieing friend would have to be honoured.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 04:20 PM
i wouldnt put the dog down, sorry couldnt do it. id look after it till its time was here, then scatter its ashes by its previous owner.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I would have made my feelings known to the friend before she died, that I would never be able to put a healthy dog down. I think even to a friend with a terminal illness, I would have had to tell her that if thats what she wanted she would have to ask someone else.
If her family and others felt this way then I am sure they would have backed you before she died.

Julie you do come up with some awful situations
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 04:27 PM
No need to even think about this one - I would save the dog, and I'd be prepared to pay the consequences if and when I met up with her again!

I had a similar scenario with my friend's horse, which we didn't have pts, we found a loving home for her, and I don't feel at all guilty!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >