Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2010, 06:21 PM

My Poor Pony :-(

my horse is lame again. im soo worried about her

she went lame 2 years ago and the vets never found out what was wrong. she is now crippled again and cant even put her foot down

im so scared she has done some real damage and we wont be able to ride her again, she is such a lovely horse. poor pony. i will add a picture as she is very pretty lol

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh no I do hope she recovers and it isn't anything serious. Could it be laminitis? (although I am sure the vet would have diagnosed that pretty quickly?)

She is gorgeous by the way. Fingers crossed.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2010, 07:03 PM
i was gonna say lami but vet wouldve said if it was ours is prone to it and we have to be strict with her grazing so she doesnt get it.
hope she recovers quickly and you can ride her again
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2010, 08:12 PM
thanks, no its not laminitis. its more in her leg i think than her foot.

she just stands there holding it up. i was jumping her yesterday in a lesson and she was fine until the end when she just suddenly went very lame, she keeps getting worse though.

thanks for the replies Xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Lovely pony, but sorry to hear she's gone lame. Maybe the only way is to rest her up for a while and then bring her back slowly and see how she is? Has the vet x-rayed that leg or nerve-blocked it yet, coz that'll help won't it. Good luck with her, she's a real beauty
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2010, 08:32 PM
thanks, she was nerve blocked today. hasnt been x-rayed yet but that depends on if the poultice brings anything out in the next couple of days. i doubt it will as this is the same thing that happened last time.

all they said last time was that something may be changing in her leg. maybe this is the result i really dont know.

will have to see how she is, at the moment she cant even walk she is even prettier now lol almost gone pure white though, nightmare to clean lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Could it possibly be in her hock??? They get something in there don't they, where they get that bone on bone growth?? Then again, you get stifle problems in hind legs too don't you It must be a real mystery to those vets, and I wish them all the luck in finding out her problems. Is the poultice on her foot then just in case it's a puncture or something, or is there a wound on her leg then??
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2010, 08:41 PM
its in her front leg (front left)
the poultice is there because the vet said it may be an abcess high in her foot as she isnt responding to pressure on the sole of her foot so its not close to the bottom.

no wound just very slight swelling. its just so annoying to not know why she is hurting. especially when she is walking like she has a broken leg (she is a bit of a drama queen bless her)
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh I see, a front leg then! I had something similar once, with swelling around the coronet, and it wasn't until I noticed that, that I realised it could be a foot problem, because I just thought my horse had twisted his fetlock or something and kept resting him, and then, just like yours, he started holding it up. When the vet came out, it was bad news, because it turned out I had left the punctured sole so long, that the abcess had worked it's way UP, and as he opened up the foot, although we could see nothing, the gunk short across the yard and the relief in my horse's face said it all! Needless to say, the vet told me off good and proper, but sometimes you just can't see a puncture coz the foot "closes" immediately sometimes, it's so difficult to see it, plus of course, it can get under that shoe!

You've certainly got your work cut out in finding the problem if it's baffling the vets too, but good luck with her, she's such a smasher!
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2010, 08:53 PM
ouch, that sounds painful he swelling is just above, she is very touchy when feeling the whole lower leg but i think that may just be her.

we definatly do! thanks i love her so much. best horse i have ever ridden and been around without a doubt