View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 01:30 PM
We used to get that all the time with Aol dial up but we've now got bt broadband and it's brilliant. We've never had any trouble with it.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 01:32 PM
ow dear foxy!you seem to have no luck with computers! hope you get it mixed soon!im on bt so cant help you wiith this one!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hi Julie,

I discovered that you need a spare USB port
You don't need a usb port if you got a ethernet port (network card) on the back of your pc it looks like a bigger version of the telephone socket.

The differance is that with usb connection the modem is powered by the pc via usb as well as getting the info from the net and this also puts your cpu under more strain than using a ethernet.

If your got going to go to broadband say that you have a network and that you want both pc's on the internet they will send you a modem that has got the usb and the ethernet connection on it even tho you are just using one pc they won't know.

I have just changed from wanadoo cause they put a download cap on and my oh does alot of downloading so he changed it this took 2 weeks to complete a load of crap when switching ISP'S.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hi Minihaha,

Sorry its not the Broadband I am having trouble with, its the dial up which keeps cutting off I will have to get my USB ports mended before I can have broadband because apparently something has to plug into one of them doesn't it?

Thanks for your reply though
Hi Foxy, you and pc's are like me and my washing machines - bad news! O/h has said you have to go for a very expensive hub if you want to go that way (4-way) or you could get a router (oooh matron!) which is a more expensive, sophisticated version, or for about £30 or so (guess?) you could have a new usb fitted. I think Leo may be on the right track for you though as that sounds about the best idea to me and my o/h and probably the cheapest. Aol did this to me with dial up when they wanted me to change to B/B and I have no probs whatsoever with aol, same as Tj doesn't. It is also very easy to instal with everything they send you for free, but of course you have to tie yourself up for a year with them, and it's difficult to get rid of if you don't want it, but why would youwant to get rid of it anyway if there aren't any probs with it. Hope you get it all sorted as you can't stay on dial-up anymore with all those problems and it will probably only get worse. Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2