Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you recycle?
Yes, I recycle and Local Authority provides household bins 31 65.96%
Yes, but Local Authority does not provide household bins 7 14.89%
No, but I would if Local Authority provided household bins 9 19.15%
No I do not recycle, and still would not if Local Authority provided bins 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Runstock
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Locally only the private estates are provided with two different coloured wheely bins for recycling... us commoners have to make do with non recycled rubbish in black bin bags

The people with the wheely bins have been told this week the wheely bin capacities are to be reduced to encourage people to recyce more?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Im ashamed to say i dont recycle although i should as Im aware of the impact upon the environment- especially with the limited landfill sites available etc
main reason is that I actually dont have anywhere to store segregated waste such as bottles/paper etc
which sounds a lame excuse but its true
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Yes our Local Council recently gave us all a brand spanking new mega wheelie bin for all our recyclables, you just chuck it all in there! I keep a large plastic carrier bag hanging in the boot room for all the recycle bits and transfer it to my sparkly new bin every other day or so. My dustmen now refuse to take more than 4 black sacks of normal rubbish, so I make sure most of it goes in the new bin, and now I'm down to 4 black sacks of normal rubbish instead of about 8! We eat a lot here! So do the dogs!
Barbara Ann
New Member!
Female 

05-05-2005, 03:36 PM
We have recently been issued with blue plastic boxes for glass and tin cans and a red plastic bag for papers. They are collected fortnightly and it's a real eye opener when I take R for a walk, seeing just how much put out for collection. I think it must make a huge difference to the amounts being tipped in landfill sites. A bit embarrassing if someone notes my blue box - full of empty red wine bottles and baked bean tins.
olive
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
One of the things that has surprised me most is how willing people are to recycle. To be truthful I was sceptical about the scheme to begin with because I thought no-one would do it, but it is the exact opposite. Everyone I know, most of whom had never considered recycling before, are very willing to do it now . Kevin and I run a recycling/refurbishing project for commercial/business waste, so it was a bit hypocritical that we weren't recycling at home
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 08:57 PM
We have a wheelie bin for normal rubbish and a green one for garden waste. A black box for bottles and jars, blue bag for paper and charity (Sally Army) bags for clothes,books and that sort of thing. Nothing for plastic though!!

My anger comes at work. We are only a small business and would not reycle any more than an average house, but it all helps right?? WRONG. I have offered to seperate all items into their catergories and take them myself to the recycle points, but am told that I would be breaking the law if I do

Instead we have to employ a n other company to manage our waste and pay large sums of money for the privilege. You know it makes sense :smt104
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Oh dear we have a strange system of different coloured bags here and as I only have one newspaper a week and sometimes one tin I am sure my waste is of less value than the bag it goes in
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Durham City Council started to recycle things back in 2002, we got a green open box to put all your paper cans and bottles into, if you have a lot of anything it can get quite heavy and awkward to keep tidy.

I was suprised how much could be recycled, however I wish we had a plastic recycling scheme going and also a one for cardboard.

Ian
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2005, 10:05 PM
I am surprised at how much cardboard goes into my box!
it's always full of it!

Our local tesco collect used carrier bags.
willow_pheonix
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2005, 08:20 AM
we have the normal bin, green bin and blue and black tub bins for stuff. I recycle as much as posible but the black bucket for tins and glass is erm always full in a few days lol , it's all the cat and dog meat cans that does it never wine bottles or mead bottles lol
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »