Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Why doesn't my dog chew her food?

Hello all.
I have always known Tish is greedy, she is always on a mission to steal food, she would even take it right out of your hand while your eating it. When she has her meals she eats it so fast, like in 2 seconds flat and then she still is on the scrounge.
Anyway yesterday for some reason she was sick, and i noticed all her biscuits were in there...whole!!! This is how i know she isn't chewing it. Could this be a problem for her in the long run?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 09:54 AM
it could cause bloat, which can be fatal.
how old is she?

you can scatter the food on the floor or garden, or soak it very well
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Would she eat more slowly if you served her meals in a treat ball ?
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I put Kismet's kong in her food bowl when I feed her now and that seems to slow the little monster down, but she's much the same! I have split her food to three meals, the main one when the other two eat at 6pm with her kong in the bowl. A scatter feed at lunch time and either raw or scatter for breakfast. Anything to slow her down really.

A frozen white fish fillet is her favourite raw feed closely followed by chicken wings... She has to chew them, no choice!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Putting the food in a treat ball should work.

If it doesn't. You could hand feed her, so she has no choice but to slow down eating, as you will be giving her the biscuits.

If she steals food from you, you need to teach her to leave. (in my opinion) She is never to young to learn this.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 05:55 PM
try placing lettius in the bowl,they generaly will not eat it but they will forage though the bowl to get what they want,kibble size,and more feedings for me, i feed 4 sml meals a day ,mine need a constant energy level and it helps, there not so inclined to gobble,not so hungry
Tish's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Thanks for replies everyone. I will try a treat ball. I feed her three small meals a day. Lots of things to try now, oh in answer to first reply she is 5 months nearly.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Jobie has the same problem, not because he eats too fast particularly but because he finds chewing too difficult good luck with the treat ball.