Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
silverangel777
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Confused By My Puupies Appearance

My vet says my 12wk lab puppy is underweight because she is only 6.1kg (13 lbs). We've de-wormed her and everything but we noticed her stomach is large .... but you can feel her ribs and joints stick out. I've been feeding her 2 cups/per day and her stomach gets bigger but no fact covers her ribcage or joints. Is there a problem I should be concerned about? Someone please help me with this.
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Hi
I can see from this, that your really concerned,
did the vet not make any suggestions, or give reasons for the fact she was underweight?
I know it can take a few weeks before a pup starts putting on weight, I should think you should be feeding her 4 x's a day, of puppy food. Little and often is the idea..
Has she a good appetite, and is she eating?
Has she lots of energy?
Does her toilet look normal,or is she in discomfort when going to the toilet?
Sounds like it could be food connected, but the vet is the best person to ask, I would say.
Hope this helps you X
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I think you need to go back to your vet for more advice. Puppies vary in size and shape even within the same breed, but if her ribs are visible and her bones stick out then take her back to the vets. As Horses says above she should be on at least 3 meals a day of puppy complete food as per the feeding instructions on the bag, but it sounds like you may need more advice to get weight back on her again.
Incidentally, my 12 week old Lab pup ( who is very big) is over 12kg, and while you wouldnt expect them to be exactly the same, it gives you an idea.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't know how many times a day you feed her but I agree, feeding little and often is better than one or two meals a day for apuppy that young. Four times a day until she puts herself on to three (she'll probably start refusing one meal when she's ready). Also a really good quality puppy food is essential. Remember, not all foods will suit the same dogs.

Debs
silverangel777
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey guys,

Wow thanks for the quick replies. I give her 1/2cup 4 times a day but I only had her for 3 weeks and I know her breeder was only giving her 1 cup a day. She has a very good appetite (Quite the stingy gorber actually) and her stool is normal. Actually she is quite the hyer, energetic puppy. The vet didn't say anything, she just said I need to increase her food intake (which I've done) but only her stomach is getting larger. It's weird.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I appreciate it.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Just one more thing - if you are feeding a dried kibble then make sure it's well soaked before she has it. If she has it dry it might be the food expanding in her stomach that's making it bloat out.

Debs
Bilclarie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2008, 04:35 PM
A 12 week old puppy should be on 4 meals aday 3 meat and one milk, as the post above says soak dry food in a little water they can't manage to eat it completly dry as they only have tiny teeth even though it doesn't feel that way when they have hold of your toes, if she isn't putting weight on and your vet can't find anything wrong with her maybe try feeding her 6 times a day same amount but in smaller meals,she may well be not digesting properly which will cause lack of weight gain how are her poo's are they firm or sloppy if sloppy your feeding to much in one go so as I said earlier try giving more meals in smaller amounts.

Mo and the Gang xx
katia
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Perhaps the 'complete' does not suit her. Is your vet young? When I got my Goldie over 11 years ago, she came on a complete diet which she actually was not too keen on. I went to my vet (an 'elderly' chap) & they gave me a whole diet sheet which started with best mince, complan, eggs, all fresh stuff. I was able to reduce her to pet mince, veg etc. She has spent her whole life able to eat anything, (including complete) & at 11.5 is going strong. All dogs are different.
Katia
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Is her stomach bloated just now or is it often bloated after food ?
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Does sound like it might be the food bloating her a bit but it's passing through before she can absorb the goodness, what food is it you are using?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >