View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2007, 11:36 PM
The vets normally don't give antibiotics as it is a virus, but they do for the complications of it. Such as if it develops into an infection. They do however advise you to give them childrens benylin. I have had this 2 years ago and again with different dogs a few months ago. I believe mine caught it at a dog show drinking the water provided by the show. I normally take my own but had run out so i let her drink from the bowl. It is spread by droplets, in saliva for instance. I chose Benylin for dry coughs and gave mine the dose for a five year old child. For a smaller dog i would give the babies dose. It is not as serious as people believe in adult dogs as it's only like our cold. In puppies or sick or old dogs it can be a bit more so. Mine had it for 3 weeks as they were about 6 months old. Hope he will soon be better.
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Thank you all so much for your kind 'get wells' and advice.

My little patient is doing much much better. His weepy eyes and nose have totally cleared up and his cough is easing little by little every day.

I am trying to keep him relatively quiet but this is proving difficult as he seems to be a born speed demon and hates to go from A to B at a stroll if he can it do by racing!!!

Minihaha - Thanks for the tip about the honey, he really seemed to enjoy that.

em..xx
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Sadly today my little pup is not doing so well. He really seemed to be making good progress but late this afternoon he started vomiting quite badly so we took him straight to the emergency vet. He seems very sad, sleepy and quiet, not at all himself. The vet has given him some medication to calm the vomiting and told us just to keep a close eye on him and take him back in the morning if there is no improvement.

I feel so awful, so helpless. He is so small and looks so vulnerable. The vet was not able to really confirm what was causing the trouble but we all keeping our fingers crossed that it is nothing too frightening.

I think I shall be in for a long night....
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Poor little thing, my first setter had a bad bout of kennel cough when he was 4 months old, it effected his heart but, fortunately, there was no lasting damage.

I hope your little fella starts to pick up really quickly, I'll be thinking of you both tonight and sending healing vibes your way.
emma-rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your kind words Scorpio.

We had to take our pup back to the vet this morning and they have decided to keep him for a day or so. The vet is worried that he could have contracted the 'maladie de Carré' (sorry, don't know the name in english). Anyway, it can be very dangerous but the vet seems to think we can save our little bundle. I am keeping all fingers and toes crossed until our next update from the vet, probably tomorrow morning.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
The vet is worried that he could have contracted the 'maladie de Carré' (sorry, don't know the name in english).
ohh, just did a quick google - I think this is distemper. Poor mite, fingers crossed that he makes a speedy recovery. He's in the best place to give him the best chances.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Really sorry to be reading this - I hope the news from your vet is good, nothing worse than being sat waiting for news! poor little mite. Sending him healing thoughts.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
So sorry to hear this my healing prayers to your puppy.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2007, 11:10 AM
oh dear, I hope everything turns out ok for your pup,

Mo
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Poor thing and poor you! Hope your pup is feeling better real soon.
xx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >