Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 02:32 PM

10kg pork shoulder lol

I just got in my usual order from the butchers wholesaler yesterday, I added a pork shoulder to the list to see what it was like and if I might be interested in getting more for the dogs...I was expecting this little (less than) 1kg thing that you see at the supermarkets but was suprised when I had one big box with the pork shoulder in by itself - figured it can't be that big I opened the lid it's massive - all 10 to 11kg of it which (along with offal) will feed both dogs for 6 days. It doesn't sound that heavy but it's quite a big slab of meat!

So anyway I had to get busy with the axe to portion it up a little - I need a bone saw really but the axe makes do

I might portion it up a little less next time and feed them 2 days in 1 or something so they can have bigger slabs of it to get their teeth in.

It's great they are gonna love it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 02:33 PM
OMG! What do your neighbours think when they see all this meat? And then there's you with the cleaver ... :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

Who is your wholesaler?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
OMG! What do your neighbours think when they see all this meat? And then there's you with the cleaver ... :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

Who is your wholesaler?
hehehe...Yeah don't mess with me and my axe and blood running down my hands on 'butcher day' It all comes in on the same day and I'm sat for a few hours sorting it out - bagging it and cutting up what needs it (a huge slab of liver and the kidney mostly that they don't like whole)

They are a wholesaler we have used since starting with raw for the dogs, who supplies the local-ish butchers. We found them by calling lots of people out of the yellow pages and one of them turned out to be the supplier of the butchers in the next town and said they would let us have wholesale and would even deliver it for free as we are on the way to the butchers from their place. We get most all meat from them except the tripe and pilchards. We get free range eggs from them too which the dogs have also.

I think anyone can find similar in most all areas by asking catering outlets and butchers etc who their supplier is and many suppliers might be interested in supplying you even if you think the order is fairly small - one way of bulking the order out would be to order all the meat you would usually get for yourselves from there too.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Blimey what a find!
Thanks for that!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Mys and her Axe - The Voice of Reason?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Yeah.. my neighbours love me every 6 months.. when I have a full LWB SPrinter van empty its entire contents (FULL) onto my drive way!!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Mys and her Axe - The Voice of Reason?
he he he

There are some kids kicking a football really hard at my fence at the minuet and scaring my poor brave pooches - I have Takoda under the desk now as a result...Gonna have to holler at them in a min, If the ball comes over I'm showing that my axe before chucking it back.

Do you think I have an anger management problem?

Hey, I might go back to the 'is raw feeding dangerous' thread and add it can be if anyone p****s you off and you've left the axe out after butcher day!

Damnit the kids have stopped now lol
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-04-2007, 01:20 PM

rofl!!!!!
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Lol, sounds like great fun, axe waving!! lol

Hadn't thought of a whole pork shoulder for my girls. We are getting through a fair bit of ox heart and pigs trotters at the mo.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
Hadn't thought of a whole pork shoulder for my girls.
Just remember if you get a proper whole one it is like 1/4 of a whole pig not like anything you see prepared at the store or even butchers!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >