Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by missy01 View Post
so why contribute to it in the UK by making the AP legal? Would do so much harm. This is my personal opinion, this breed is not needed in the UK. As it has already been mentioned there are so many Staffy types in dogs homes, bought by people who do not or cannot control them. AP's would add to this.
Because all it does is punish good owners. I know of at least one person who got a puppy from a rescue, believing it to be a Staffy and judging by size and looks she believes it's actually an APBT. So why should she suffer? Why should she have to worry constantly that someone will point a finger at her beloved dog and have it taken away to be killed? No, there shouldn't be any APBTs in the country at this point, but the fact remains that there ARE and sometimes they do end up in the hands of unsuspecting members of the public.

The other reality is that the sorts of people who want a status dog will find one. Be it an APBT, Staffy, Dogo, or Rottie. One more breed being legal won't make any difference. If they don't get an APBT (and let's face it, the sorts who DO want a status dog probably also don't care if the dog is legal or not), they'll find something else.

The problem with breed bans is that they don't stop the activities people want them to stop. They don't stop people from abusing dogs to make them "guard dogs." They don't stop dog fighting. They don't stop certain types of people from owning status dogs. And they certainly don't stop or lessen the number of dog attacks.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:49 PM
it will make a difference - many of them will end up in dog homes or PTS - so pointless
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:50 PM
it will make a difference - many of them will end up in dog homes or PTS - so pointless
How do you know this? Are you psychic?
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
So none of those sorts own Rottweilers? Cane Corsos? Various mastiff-types? Here they sure do and some of those dogs weigh well over 100 pounds.

Also, the American Pit Bull Terrier is NOT a huge dog. It's a medium-sized dog:

Male 35 to 60 lb (16 to 27 kg)
Female 30 to 50 lb (14 to 23 kg)

They aren't banned though are they, perfectly legal here.

http://www.staffords.co.uk/sbtrescue/

Look at the photo's on that page - I can find more if you wish..

How can you honestly hand on your heart state this wouldn't be happening on a much larger scale if Pit Bulls were made legal. Fact is you can't. It's going on with Staffords, every single day of the week 365 days a year - many are put to sleep on an everyday basis because spaces cannot be found for them as ALL rescues are FULL to the point of exploding. Before I agreed with any repeal of the DDA I'd like to see the mess in Rescues, cleared considerably - there's nothing wrong with wanting to see that happen.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:52 PM
no, just going by the amount of Staffs in himes at the moment.
You really are incapable of having a discussion without taking it to heart and making stupid comments.
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:53 PM
thank you Nicci, just what i was trying to explain to this...person
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
How do you know this? Are you psychic?
How do you know it won't,are you psychic ?

You don't need to be really do you,take a look at any rehoming centre in the uk or sbt rescue,or on death row,there are thousands of SBT's and there crosses,what make's you so sure it won't happen to pitts ?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Many already do end up being PTS or in homes as Staffy x, it then makes it very difficult, because of BSL to rehome them as people don't want to risk a family pet being seized. I wonder what the percentage of Pits in homes/PTS in Ireland is compared to lets say another powerful breed. I don't think it will make that much difference.. A percentage of the staffys in rescues are there because people fear they are Pit Type or there is mass hysteria over "pit" attacks and because they are banned your average undereducated owner thinks they have a dangerous Pit type dog - this is of coursed fuelled by the media branding staffys as dangerous Pitbulls (there are hundreds of media photos of pits that are staffys )
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I actually think the reason there are so many Staffs in homes is because they can be bought very cheaply, are adorable as puppies and do not grow too big.
What a lot of people don't realise is that they are really strong and will take literally take you for a walk if not trained properly. They are also bored easily so if left alone can be very destructive. A neighbour of mine came home once to be greeted by her Staff at the front door - it had been shut in the kitchen when she left, she had a nice Staffy sized whole in the wall.
But the main reason is that they can be very dog agressive, after one instance of this happenning they get put in a home.
Ap's have all these traits - multiplied.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
You're right I don't.

You visited any Staffy rescues in the UK recently?
Do you think the ban on pit bulls has helped the staffie crisis?
Page 103 of 132 « First < 3 53 93 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 113 > Last »