Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NikoTheShihTzu
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Wilko's dog food

Hi i personaly feed my shih tzu Orijen puppy but wet food i buy at wilkos as it's good . Normally they have colorful full of additives food but today whilst shopping at wikos i saw those : http://www.wilko.com/dry-dog-food/wi.../invt/0412923v http://www.wilko.com/dry-dog-food/wi...g/invt/0412924 http://www.wilko.com/dry-dog-food/wi...g/invt/0412921 The composition is:turkey 35% sweet potato 30% Potato 10%pea starch , beet pulp , rapeseed oil , linseed , lucern , yeast , carrot (1%) , Minerals , tomato powder , seaweed meal , Mixed herbs . What do you guys think ? Has anyone tried it ?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-12-2015, 12:17 PM
I would not consider this food as 'species appropriate'. It contains Lucerne - which is a legume. Legume's contain anti-nutrients just as grains do.

When my dog had cancer I tried various diets - the only ones that seemed to stop the cancer from growing were the ones that did not contain any grains or legumes (or potatoes).

Having said that it may well be better than some of the cheaper brands but it's impossible to say tbh - most of the time, after deducing what looks good on paper, choosing a commercial dog food is based on trust - trust that they are doing right by the dogs (are any - when profit is usually their priority first and foremost?).
NikoTheShihTzu
New Member!
Female 

20-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Ok Thanks for the reply .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2015, 05:28 PM
The ingredient list kinda reminds me of IAMS new grain free food. TONS of peas and potatoes in substitute for the grains. An epic fail if you ask me. I bet it's expensive too, just like IAMS new grain free food. Total waste of money. I'd rather a little grain and more meat. The dog I buy food for normally eats Victor High Energy or when I can find it Victor High Pro Plus. Solid food, their grain free foods are really really good, but a bit too costly for me. Apparently it has too much fat in it for him and turned him into lard. He's currently on some garbage the vet told me to get called Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice. Don't think it'll help but the vet said to try it so there goes.