Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Most dogs impounded after an attack are entire dogs... extremely rarely are they altered dogs. Two studies I saw show that in the US an average of 92% of fatal attacks were by un-neutered male dogs and in the UK about an average of 85% of dog attacks were by unaltered dogs.

Un-altered dogs are far more likely to attack or show aggression or unpredictable behavior. Neutering too early is a big no-no... but I think for most owners, doing it at the proper age is better than not.

Never do I advise normal dog owners (as opposed to people who show dogs, or breed them... and arguably they should, as well) that neutering is a bad thing to do, even though I don't prefer it myself.

My last un-neutered male attracted other males aggressive approaches which turned into fights. He was not an aggressive dog, but when other un-neutered males entered his space with aggression, it got ugly. Neutered males are often not considered a threat by other males and are left alone.

I'd not advise neutering a Pug of this age at all... but of course it's a consideration with any other dogs you might get. The health benefits and disadvantages kinda weight themselves depending on what breed you have etc.

Here is what I believe to be a solid article about the basics of altering... it's not overly scientific and give people a good glance at what may be right for them.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/hea...-male-dog.html
I sorry but there is so many misconceptions in that article it makes it worthless......

Castrated dogs don't lift their leg and scent mark..

Castrated dogs don't go after bitches in heat ( a castrated dog can and does tie with a bitch, it just does not produce sperm.

A castrated dog is not aggressive....
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I sorry but there is so many misconceptions in that article it makes it worthless......

Castrated dogs don't lift their leg and scent mark..

Castrated dogs don't go after bitches in heat ( a castrated dog can and does tie with a bitch, it just does not produce sperm.

A castrated dog is not aggressive....
If only the article said any of that. It did not expressly say any of that. It only said neutering may help with these problems in an entire dog. It did not say it would get rid of these problems, or that it would even help all dogs.

It did not say ANYTHING about neutered dogs and their behaviors, it only said what benefits neutering might provide to an entire dog with these behaviors. I'm not sure how you managed to twist the article up like you did.

You're going to want to read the article as it's written, and not assume that because she says that neutering can reduce these behaviors that they are impossible (or don't happen) in un-neutered dogs. That was not her point at all.

The article is for people who are considering neutering. It's written in the way it is so people who are considering it can get a grasp on what it might have to offer. I think it's a very good article, actually and far from "worthless". But that is just me...
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2014, 10:50 AM
He's 10 years old, he's at risk from a GA, why bother?

He's had his testicles for 10 years, I think he deserves to keep them.

Also, as Jackie says the only cancer that it would DEFINITELY stop him getting is testicular cancer.

Human males are at risk from testicular cancer but I've never heard of any men having theirs removed as a purely preventative measure......
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Here in Hungary male dogs are rarely neutered and not all female dogs are spayed. In the the village where I live there are 20 dogs, 18 of whom are intact males.

In the seven years I've lived here I've never known any of them get into a fight or show any aggression towards each other despite the fact that most of them are allowed to roam around the village at will with no supervision from their owners.

My female dog has been spayed because having already lost a young un-spayed female to pyometre I'm not prepared to take the risk of leaving her intact.

Next month I'm getting a seven month old male dog and he will spend his life intact.
Ilovemypuggies
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2014, 03:47 PM
We are not going to get him neutered. I am fine with it and my husband is more than happy that you all have made me feel better about not doing it. I am not sure where this site is center, but in the US there is definitely a call for not having any unaltered animals, unless you show and breed dogs/cats.

As for my other pug being neutered so young. I bought him from a breeder and signed a contract that stated I would show proof of neutering my 4 months of age. I wait until the very last minute, but at last I had to.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2