Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
There is no such thing as an accidental mating-they are negligent owners allowing the bitch to be near a dog whilst in season & even if the season was a silent one there are steps that can be taken to prevent the litter being born.

The RSPCA have castrated the puppies born in their kennels at 8 weeks of age for years here & the result is a lot of very fine boned overly tall males that are very attractive to other male dog
owners who are not experienced with bitches in season? I would not have known suki was in season apart from i was warned to keep extra eye on her becuase her mum had s silent season hence she was caught at 11 months, they were planning on breeding but not so soon, they had some tests done in preparation.

what about doors/gates being left open by accident?

ATD x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 10:00 PM
It's such a difficult situation for the rescues tbh, I hate early neutering due to the likely damage done to the puppy being neutered. But then I've come across 1 person recently, via work, who has openly admitted to breeding from a rescue unregistered ESS and getting £300 per pup. The reason? They moved before the rescue could enforce the neutering rule and someone with a male ESS approached them in the park offering stud services! What worries me more is the breeding of an unregistered bitch, how can they be sure that the dog and bitch weren't related????

Very sad that people would profit from a dog in need and even more difficult for the rescues picking up the pieces of these scumbags.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's such a difficult situation for the rescues tbh, I hate early neutering due to the likely damage done to the puppy being neutered. But then I've come across 1 person recently, via work, who has openly admitted to breeding from a rescue unregistered ESS and getting £300 per pup. The reason? They moved before the rescue could enforce the neutering rule and someone with a male ESS approached them in the ppark offering stud services! What worries me more is the breeding of an unregistered bitch, how can they be sure that the dog and bitch weren't related????

Very sad that people would profit from a dog in need and even more difficult for the rescues picking up the pieces of these scumbags.
sad but not uncommon at all
You get a dog cheep from a rescue, sneak a litter or two out of it at several £100's per pup - its a temptation for some people

and even the non scumbags there are still lots of people who think its best to take a litter out of a bitch to 'calm her down' they think they are doing the right thing because that is what 'everyone' has been saying forever
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I think the question should be "I've just had a look on a rescue site...a 9wk old pup given up for rehoming already, why?!"
I know that early neutering is not ideal but I imagine it is a tough call for rescues - neuter early so that the pup is ready to go to a new home ASAP and there is absolutely zilch chance of it being used for breeding (or accidentally mating another and adding to the population problem) or rehome it unneutered and hope the adopters follow through on a neutering contract (and before any accidents)
At the end of the day, rescues are mopping up after other people - they don't choose for 9 week old puppies to be unwanted and in need of a rescue space.
Good post, well said
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
owners who are not experienced with bitches in season? I would not have known suki was in season apart from i was warned to keep extra eye on her becuase her mum had s silent season hence she was caught at 11 months, they were planning on breeding but not so soon, they had some tests done in preparation.

what about doors/gates being left open by accident?
ATD x
It is very simple my entire bitches are never left unsupervised with the boys QED

I check my entire bitches weekly until a cycle is known & fortunately Keewee has such a short coat even a silent season would be obvious

Leaving doors & gates open is negligent not accidental-sorry

I can think of no tests that can be done(other than DNA tests)on Collies/ESS under a year old, certainly not hips/elbows/eyes etc.

If you buy a bitch you should learn about seasons etc before getting the bitch not afterwards
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Only rehome puppies to owners with other animals all neutered???

9 weeks is early, and a lot of health issues from early neutering are report but not confirmed (from my understanding) so maybe why vets are still willing to neuter so young.

Must be a difficult situation, charging for neutering on adoption is possible but I was surprised to hear of people saying things like 'well I won't neuter yet because she might be a mothering dog' ????

People are stupid. I don't like people.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-07-2012, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
There is no such thing as an accidental mating-they are negligent owners allowing the bitch to be near a dog whilst in season & even if the season was a silent one there are steps that can be taken to prevent the litter being born.
Of course there's such a thing as an 'accidental mating'.

Negligence, Irresponsibilty, Naivety, Inexperience.

There's many reasons (not valid excuses) but the fact is that it happens.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-07-2012, 01:39 AM
These have been posted many times on Dogsey, but in case anyone has missed it:

NAIA (The National Animal Interest Alliance) report on castration (PDF)

PETmd's article on Tubal ligations and vasectomies
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Totally wrong to neuter animals so early.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I can`t help feeling that if a Rescue believes a prospective owner is too stupid or uncaring enough not to breed from their Rescue dog, they shouldn`t be rehoming a dog to them.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >